Menu

American Girl doll substitute?

My dd asked for a doll for her 7th birthday. I thought it would be easy enough. She found it in a catalog. I tried to pop into the store and pick it up today, but they're out of stock and the mail-order branch doesn't have any either. I think the doll may have been discontinued. Anyway, I'd like to find a substitute. The doll is sort of a cheap British version of an American Girl doll. You can see it if you can get this link to work. I'm working from dh's computer, so I'm not sure why, but the attach link thing isn't working properly for me. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3834888/Trail/searchtext%3EROXANNE+DOLL.htm

I can't find a suitable substitute here, but I thought, since I have friends coming over here next week from the US, I could order an AG doll substitute and have the friends bring it. I've seen mixed reviews about the My Generation dolls, problems with the hair. How are the Springfield Collection dolls? It looks like the dolls come undressed. How much does an outfit cost? At Toys R Us, there is a Madame Alexander doll that looks nice. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I'd like to spend around $30, but could go up to $40 including shipping. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gotz Precious Day dolls are a close substitute. Gotz used to make the original AG dolls and their body type is a close match. Their hair is actually better than AG dolls because it is rooted, as opposed to wigged. My dd has one and it is really a beautiful doll.

We got ours at a Tuesday Morning store here in the U.S for $29.99 in U.S. dollars. If your friends have a Tuesday Morning nearby, you might want to ask if they could stop by and look for one (you can't shop there online) Online prices elsewhere might be more, but it's worth a search.

Gotz Precious Day dolls are a close substitute. Gotz used to make the original AG dolls and their body type is a close match. Their hair is actually better than AG dolls because it is rooted, as opposed to wigged. My dd has one and it is really a beautiful doll.

We got ours at a Tuesday Morning store here in the U.S for $29.99 in U.S. dollars. If your friends have a Tuesday Morning nearby, you might want to ask if they could stop by and look for one (you can't shop there online) Online prices elsewhere might be more, but it's worth a search.

I totally agree. We have both AG and Gotz and much prefer the Gotz. The hair, the body materials... all superior in my opinion. They are a German company originally so maybe you can find them near you as well?

The Springfiled Collection doll is not that great.

Oh, and I forgot about the Corolle 17" dolls. We also have a couple of those. You can see an example here: http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Annabelle-inch-Miss-Collection/dp/B001U3ZH22/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1248814563&sr=1-10

This one is pricey, but sometimes you can find them for much less. I would think you would be able to find them in the U.K.

They are not as close to the AG as the Gotz, but they are gorgeous, well-made dolls. They are also more "huggable" as their bodies are made a little differently -- they won't stand on their own.

My dd asked for a doll for her 7th birthday. I thought it would be easy enough. She found it in a catalog. I tried to pop into the store and pick it up today, but they're out of stock and the mail-order branch doesn't have any either. I think the doll may have been discontinued. Anyway, I'd like to find a substitute. The doll is sort of a cheap British version of an American Girl doll. You can see it if you can get this link to work. I'm working from dh's computer, so I'm not sure why, but the attach link thing isn't working properly for me. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3834888/Trail/searchtext%3EROXANNE+DOLL.htm

I can't find a suitable substitute here, but I thought, since I have friends coming over here next week from the US, I could order an AG doll substitute and have the friends bring it. I've seen mixed reviews about the My Generation dolls, problems with the hair. How are the Springfield Collection dolls? It looks like the dolls come undressed. How much does an outfit cost? At Toys R Us, there is a Madame Alexander doll that looks nice. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I'd like to spend around $30, but could go up to $40 including shipping. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Usually out of stock can be backordered, discontinued can't. Which doll is the one you could not find? Sometimes you can call different stores. You can check ebay, but usually they are expensive there. We somehow got lucky and a very nice lady sold us one for $20, gave us the hairbrush, stand, and an extra outfit.

My girls have the Springfield Dolls. You can find them at Michael's or AC Moore. They hold up great and are the same size as AG dolls so they fit into all of the same clothes. And if you get one of the 50% off coupons in the Sunday paper, you can get the doll for about $10 or $15! My DD(then 4) asked for an AG doll for Christmas last year after looking at a catalog. "Santa" brought a Springfield doll instead and she's none the wiser.

Edited to add....look on www.etsy.com for great hand-made clothes for the 18 inch dolls. That's where "Santa" got clothes for our DD's dolls. I looked at the Madame Alexander dolls at TRU and didnt really like them. However, I did buy one of the outfits for my DD's Springfield dolls though.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Corolle

they are gorgeous, well-made dolls.

We LOVE Corolle dolls here. They hold up well, smell like heaven, and have an incredible assortment of accessories to choose from. The clothes, in particular, are well made and plentiful.

Thanks for all the replies. Dh doesn't want to go the e-bay route. I had already asked about that. I will ask my friend if she has a Tuesday Morning she can check for the Gotz Dolls. I had noticed these dolls, but they were too pricey where I saw them. If she could get a good price, it would be great. And I'll look for a good price on the Corolle Dolls. Thanks, ladies.