Menu

My turn to ask for review- 6th grade

Carrie12345

Math- Saxon Algebra 1/2 (He was skipped ahead in ps math, so I think this is where he fits, but we still have to do placement testing. Looking at it, I think he would pass for Alg1, but I'm not comfortable with that.)

Logic- Critical Thinking books 1&2

Latin- Latina Christiana I (I have no Latin experience, but he is a language wiz. This has been a tough choice)

Typing- Mavis Beacon

Music- Piano Lessons, maybe dabbling in guitar

The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Biographies and CDs of ds's choosing

Art- The Complete Book of Drawing

Start Exploring Masterpieces

Let's Meet Famous Artists (I bought the last two for his sisters, and he's fascinated!)

Science- Prentice Hall Life Science (or K-12, if his father chooses)

Language Arts- Vocabulary From Classical Roots (A&B)

Voyages in English 6

Wordsmith Apprentice

Note Taking and Outlining (3-5 and 6-8. He's had no real instruction here)

History- The Story of the World (finish ancients, begin Medieval)

SOTW Activity Guide

Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

Other sources and WTM-style notebook

Civics- Colonies to Constitution (I can't make him wait for US History. He's obsessed, lol.)

Reading- variety of titles taken from History program/WTM and 6th grade reading lists

On one hand, I feel it's too much. On the other, I feel like I'm missing something. :001_huh:

I am clearly no expert but I would look at First Form Latin instead of the Latina Christiana I if I were you. I think it would be a better fit and is aimed for students from 5th grade and up. I have the beta version and I really like it and am considering it using if for my 6th grade son if we can fit in all our other studies. Take a look at it and see what you think.

Blessings,

Lisa

I am clearly no expert but I would look at First Form Latin instead of the Latina Christiana I if I were you. I think it would be a better fit and is aimed for students from 5th grade and up. I have the beta version and I really like it and am considering it using if for my 6th grade son if we can fit in all our other studies. Take a look at it and see what you think.

Blessings,

Lisa

I've been wondering about that one! Brand new programs tend to make me nervous, even though this one looks great (and obviously isn't "new" in the sense of unknown-author). How do you feel about the lack of pronunciation CD with the beta version? I'm not very good at waiting. ;)

Hi Carrie:

At the yahoo group, there are audio pronunciation files for the first 10 lessons. I haven't gotten that far so it has not been an issue for me. I really have liked using it so far, though. I have retained what I have learned. Search the board for threads on First Form. There were lots of them. I just thought it would be a good fit for your son since he is a language wiz. It seems that LCI may be too young for him from what I have heard.

Good luck with your decision and your school year.

Hi Carrie:

At the yahoo group, there are audio pronunciation files for the first 10 lessons. I haven't gotten that far so it has not been an issue for me. I really have liked using it so far, though. I have retained what I have learned. Search the board for threads on First Form. There were lots of them. I just thought it would be a good fit for your son since he is a language wiz. It seems that LCI may be too young for him from what I have heard.

Good luck with your decision and your school year.

Thank you for the tip. I'm going to do a search and make this a serious consideration!

If you are planning for him to do all of those daily, I think it is too much. If you are planning on some of them alternating days (like typing/logic, art/music), it is probably doable.

Oh, absolutely!

I'm just in a mad dash to finalize resources before planning a schedule. :001_smile: