Menu

NC and SC homeschoolers - do you get diplomas from organizations?

I am researching colleges to visit on our upcoming roadtrip. I am runnign into strange requests at colleges in NC and SC for diplomas from organizations or the state. We are military and have never homeschooled in those states and don't know what they are talking about. I talked with one person at one college and she said don't worry about it. Another is checking with his registrar. They both seemed to want documents we send to the state but as I told the one man, I plan to send ACT scores next year for my daughter the same as I send to them. Be my guest if you want to see both.

None of the colleges my dd applied to wanted anything but the transcript from me. That was the proof they needed that she had graduated. Like the other poster stated we are considered private schools so issue our own transcripts and diplomas if you want something formal. I'm not sure which schools you've been talking to but one thing does come to mind. The state homeschool association does give out diplomas but that is if you buy it and/or want it. It's nothing the state requires. Perhaps some of the schools have seen those and mistakenly have thought that that was the diploma a homeschooler got from the state to show they've graduated. Just conjecture on my part. Many of our state schools deal well with homeschoolers and don't require much more from them than they do a public school counterpart. The only school I would have had to work hard for was UNC Chapel Hill. They wanted SAT, transcript, course description, references, and portfolios. Thankfully dd was not interested in going there. We ended up at UNC Charlotte and they didn't treat us any different than a public school student. No hoops at all but Charlotte is the number one city for homeschoolers in the state so they've had lots of experience with homeschoolers.

it depends on which option you use for homeschooling. (There are three different options.) #1 is thru the Public School district -- they will issue a diploma. #2 is thru a state-wide organization called SCAIHS -- they have lots of regulations and I believe issue their own diplomas. #3 is thru (usually more localized) organizations. Some of them will provide transcripts and, I believe, diplomas if you wish. Within Option 3, you can use some sort of a correspondence or other regulating authority, which may issue their own diploma.

Our co-op graduated something like 14 students this year. At least one was SCAIHS, most were Option 3. The actual diplomas handed out at the ceremony were varied and as individualized as the students themselves. Most students I've known who have graduated have parent-issued diploma.

HTH

The only school I would have had to work hard for was UNC Chapel Hill. They wanted SAT, transcript, course description, references, and portfolios.

We had the guy talk to our homeschool group (the guy who does applications from our region - I think it's by county or something... but basically the one that would actually be calling if we didn't have the right stuff!), and we got the same list as you did. But not only that, if you had started high school level work early (Algebra was his example) he wanted that included -- transcript, references, and all that -- even if it was ridiculously young. He really wanted to go through the transcript and check off "Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, 4th year of math". It was a good talk, because he was extremely specific, but the list was a little daunting! (Glad I was hearing it before high school started!!! LOL)

Yes, the one with the most questions was from SC. The NC one stated they would work with us and if her scores are very good, there would be absolutely no problem. THe one in Sc seemed very confused by it all. I was educating him politely about how homeschooling is different in different states. He was the one who wanted what we turn in at the end of the year and I told him that will be the ACT test score. He is checking with the registrar next week. I told him that if we applied we would send him an official transcript and he kept talking about the diploma. I said we could send a copy of that too if she decided to enroll. He didn't seem to by anti-hopmeschooling at all so I haven't crossed it off. He just seemed confused.

I'm in South Carolina, and use the 3rd option. Our 3rd option group provided sealed transcripts to each college we visited in our son's senior year, a sealed transcript to the college he chose when he applied at a campus day, and a last transcript after graduation. They also made us a nice diploma. Of course, I had to meet deadlines to get information to them (grades for the transcripts, and addresses and dates of college tours).

Some 3rd option groups do this and others do not. If you move to SC, be sure to check each group's requirements, they are each allowed to set their own criteria added to regular SC homeschooling laws. You need to make sure that matches your goals.

I don't think we are moving to SC but she may be applying to colleges in SC including one we were thinking about visiting. It seemed it might be a good match but the director of admissions was admittedly only familiar with DC homeschooling laws and didn't realize they were so different in so many states. It is a college that gets at least 50% of students from DC but is looking to expand its reach.

I am researching colleges to visit on our upcoming roadtrip. I am runnign into strange requests at colleges in NC and SC for diplomas from organizations or the state. We are military and have never homeschooled in those states and don't know what they are talking about. I talked with one person at one college and she said don't worry about it. Another is checking with his registrar. They both seemed to want documents we send to the state but as I told the one man, I plan to send ACT scores next year for my daughter the same as I send to them. Be my guest if you want to see both.

These people must be new to the job. Neither NC nor SC award diplomas to homeschoolers--or any private school students, for that matter.

I know it's easy for me to say, but I'm wondering if your response was more firm--that the state doesn't give diplomas and that most colleges do not require a third-party diploma so why should these--that maybe they wouldn't question you, KWIM?

Y He just seemed confused.

Welcome to SC school system! Confusion is a common theme from k to college. My experience with SC is that only public school students are allowed state diplomas. Private and homechoolers get their own diplomas that are not state issued. (but that could be wrong info from other confused people :D) Even when we were option 1, we could not get a SC highschool diploma. We were told we would have to use an online school that was accredited like America's school that issued diplomas. Since the whole reason we were homeschooling under option 1 was to get a SC diploma, we stopped using that option. SCHEA - south carolina homeschool educators association - might be able to help you sort out what exactly is required and what colleges should require. A lot of the leaders in our state group have highschoolers and sent many off to college. they might be a good resource.

Welcome to SC school system! Confusion is a common theme from k to college. My experience with SC is that only public school students are allowed state diplomas. Private and homechoolers get their own diplomas that are not state issued. (but that could be wrong info from other confused people :D) Even when we were option 1, we could not get a SC highschool diploma. We were told we would have to use an online school that was accredited like America's school that issued diplomas. Since the whole reason we were homeschooling under option 1 was to get a SC diploma, we stopped using that option. SCHEA - south carolina homeschool educators association - might be able to help you sort out what exactly is required and what colleges should require. A lot of the leaders in our state group have highschoolers and sent many off to college. they might be a good resource.

Well, I don't see anything in the SC law that says that the state will issue diplomas to homeschooled grads under Option 1. I wonder how y'all came to think it would; sounds as if someone gave you incorrect information.

My older dd received a diploma from her parents in her living room. We ordered it from homeschooldiplomas.com and it was lovely. :)

It does look quite official, and we would happily submit a copy of it to any graduate school that requests such a thing. LOL.

Well, I don't see anything in the SC law that says that the state will issue diplomas to homeschooled grads under Option 1. I wonder how y'all came to think it would; sounds as if someone gave you incorrect information.

Misinformation is rampant in SC especially concerning option 1. Some school districts will allow you to use the school library, check out books, get free textbooks,and some even allow you to take certain classes at the school. Some won't allow you to set foot in the school. Some will insist they have the right to home visits and what not. Some districts only allow you to use a certain curriculum. Some schools in the district will require certain things that aren't in the law (like making you register for school and then withdraw your child) One really has to know the law and make sure your district follows it. But at one time, rumor was rampant that since the option 1 was covered under the school district and the curriculum was approved by the district that diplomas would be issued. Then people found out that you could get one as long as you transferred to the high school for the final year. Because the district had followed and logged your credits and approved your courses, they would transfer in your credits and you could get the diploma. So it was a bait and switch tactic used for awhile. All of this makes it hard for colleges to know what to expect because you never know what info you will be given at any given time or day from any of the SC levels. Keeps us on our toes!:)