Menu

anyone combine Saxon and Singapore?

Homemama2

I read about doing this in WTM (I think it was the first edition of WTM, not sure) and was wondering if anyone actually does this? SWB was saying that by combining a "drill" type program like Saxon with a "mental" math type program like Singapore, you'd be getting the best of both worlds....(or something like that, I read it a few months ago).

Anyway, how would this work as far as scheduling? Does anyone actually have the time to do this? It seems like both programs are very "full", so I just wondered how you would fit this in. :confused:

Thanks!

Me! We've been doing Singapore for 3 yrs. and this year we're branching out. My 5th grader will be doing 6/5 3 days a week and Singapore IP and CWP 2 days a week. My Ker is doing Saxon 1 and a Singapore wb (can't remember what it's called). I'd also like to get them the RS abicus w/manual and their card games.

I think comining offers the best of both worlds. My kids need the drill that Singapore doesn't offer and, yet, I also want them to understand math and be able to think outside the box. Singapore is great for stretching the brain.

Hi, well we had read the same thing so last yr, my son was in 4th grade, & he was finishing up saxon 54 & moved on & finsihed 65. We did add Sing. but he found it super easy. There was no review! Despite purchasing the teaching texts along with the 2 levels we used the teacher's bk maybe 5x. He could just do the work. We structured the mix with Sax. on M,W & F and Sing on T & H. We also had him calcu/alphaladders (which I love). This yr. he'll move on to Sax.76 finish up with the calca-/alphaladders but will not do Sing again. Hope this helps. Cindi

We do!

I don't match up the lessons, but work through each book sequentially with Singapore being a level or so down from the Saxon level the boys are using. How this works out on a day to day basis is that we use Saxon for our daily lessons (one lesson a day), and then an exercise of Singapore on their own or with dad later on in the day. (There are time where we use Singapore during regular math time, but that isn't the norm.) Basically, we're using Saxon to teach the lessons and Singapore for review and to increase depth of understanding.