Menu

Update on our new home!

Let me preface this by saying that in 1979 my grandfather bought this mobile home. He lived in it until 12 years ago. My aunt, uncle, and cousins lived in it for a year, and then another aunt and cousin have lived there for the past 11 years. It was brought up to HUD standards 11 years ago so it could be certified for Section 8.

However, it is in pretty bad shape. My aunt and cousin still haven't moved out totally - 3/4 of the home is still completely engulfed in trash and stuff. We are painting the walls, pulling up carpet (cat ruined), replacing some of the subfloor, etc. One whole bathroom needs to be redone, and we are not sure about the other because we can't get to it (too much stuff.)

All I can see, though, when I walk in is how beautiful it will be! We are going to paint the outside a pale yellow. The inside is going to be various colors (I have paint from our last remodel and my mother has a bunch too.) It is 1344 square feet, 3 bedroom, 2 bath. There is a fenced in yard and a patio. It is in town, with trash pick-up (we haven't had that in YEARS and it is twice per week), curbside recycling, and in a town with a tremendous amount of opportunities (including a town run elementary band program!)

I wish I could take before and after pictures but I don't want to offend my aunt.

Edited by Renee in FL

Congratulations on the house. Have a great time with it. We lived in a mobile home out in the country when we lived in New Mexico and I really liked it.

Just a quick note: In the 80's or 90's, I can't remember exactly, there was a problem with the PVC plumbing in mobile homes. I remember some kind of class action suit. My dad recently had to have his plumbing replaced (it wasn't hard since the plumber could get under the house fairly easily. You might want to check the plumbing while you do the other work.

ETA: I saw this great article on diy flooring the other day, I might find it interesting.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/lee92.html

Please tell me if this works, my kids say I am a total n00b about links and stuff.

Edited by Denise in Florida

Congratulations on the house. Have a great time with it. We lived in a mobile home out in the country when we lived in New Mexico and I really liked it.

Just a quick note: In the 80's or 90's, I can't remember exactly, there was a problem with the PVC plumbing in mobile homes. I remember some kind of class action suit. My dad recently had to have his plumbing replaced (it wasn't hard since the plumber could get under the house fairly easily. You might want to check the plumbing while you do the other work.

ETA: I saw this great article on diy flooring the other day, I might find it interesting.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/lee92.html

Please tell me if this works, my kids say I am a total n00b about links and stuff.

I'll check about the plumbing.

That flooring looks neat! Unfortunately it would never work in this place because the floors are all different heights. Whenever the floor would get "soft" my grandfather would throw another layer of plywood down.:lol: In one room, the cabinets can't be opened/closed because of the floor.:tongue_smilie:

It sounds like you are finding joy in having a goal to work toward. Happy remodeling!

I am finding the joy. I used to be a person who always saw the bright side - I am working on finding that person again. I have been mostly successful due to prayer and taking my thoughts captive. The Lord really seems to be working in our lives.

Edited by Renee in FL

Whenever the floor would get "soft" my grandfather would throw another layer of plywood down.:lol: In one room, the cabinets can't be opened/closed because of the floor.:tongue_smilie:

Oh my......we might be related, lol. When we were first married we were living in the "family estate" :lol: and couldn't figure out why the thresholds had little trip spots everywhere, until we pulled up the carpet to replace it and saw that they had put very thin sheeting to cover up places that the floor had literally worn through and you could see the ground underneath!

Since you're already ripping up the carpet you might consider replacing the flooring the proper way......it wasn't that hard really. My husband pulled up the old stuff and tossed it. Then laid down a sheet of wood that was the same thickness as the original floor, nailed it down and then used his electric saw to cut a square out of both layers. This made the piece that was coming out easy to remove, and the piece that was going down was exactly the same size, no need to worry about squaring up, measuring proper etc. Then he used these metal brackets underneath the house to connect the old floor to the new patch and caulked the heck out of it. Laid new padding and carpetting and you never again could trip on the all the raised spots. THe first one that he did he put the brackets on the inside of the house, but quickly realized that even with padding and carpet it had a little bumpiness that he just couldn't deal with (me, I didn't notice it as it was such a vast improvement over the other).

Anyway...congrats on the new house. Others have referenced that you've had a tough year, so double congrats on finding something to feel good about! I know how important that can be in tough times. :grouphug: