Menu

What is the best ed. toy for a 2yo?

I'm hoping to spend some of ds' birthday money on some kind of educational toy set that I can set aside for the days when I need him to be entertained while I help dd with schoolwork. I really want to find something that he won't be quickly bored with or outgrow. So, if you only had about $25 to spend, what would you buy?

Please, please don't be annoyed with this suggestion.

At age 2, a child is thrilled to play for relatively long stretches -- "long" in toddler terms -- with mailing boxes, a large bouncy ball, paper towel tubes, and other safe household items. What the child does, using his or her own initiative, IS "educational." (Forgive me, Pamela, but Legos and pattern blocks are not safe for ages 2-3 because of the danger of a child swallowing them. I don't think we even trusted Duplos until age 3.)

To each their own. I worked childcare and there were the larger legos in the toddler and twos and threes rooms. And though I have seen smaller pattern blocks, I've seen large ones also. We're mathy people and I cannot imagine NOT giving a 2yo these things, but....

Anyway, obviously any option is up to whatever the parent feels comfy with.

Some other things:

playdough GALORE

lacing cards

connectable "beads" (beads sound small but I'm sure you've seen the giant ones for INFANTS even)

Sorting toys

magazines and toddler scissors are CHEAP and a fave of 2's.