Menu

Biblioplan and the word "or"

Danestress

Now I remember why I have found Biblioplan hard to use in the past. It seems so tempting. You can download it for instant gratification. It uses resources I actually own and like.

It's the word "or" that has tripped me up in the past and is causing me pain right now. How can you have your kids read "X or Y or Z" novels when reading X means they learn about Augustine but miss a seemingly cool book about St. Patrick and another about Roman Legions in Britain?

It's sooooo hard to make these choices.

Could it be that these "or" books are for in depth study? That you are reading about everything from your spines, and would just be using the other resources to go into greater detail? Then you could just let your child's interest lead. This was how we found it to work during our short stint with TOG. My 9dd's interests were quite different than my 13ds's, so they would choose the extra readings that they wanted or that I decided would be more appropriate for them.

I just ordered Biblioplan 1850-Modern, and I am so excited!! They now offer Cool History work pages, map pages, and a parent enrichment guide that gives a short synopsis of everything, kind of like a tiny version of the TOG notes. I loved the idea of TOG but was just overwhelmed. I think Biblioplan will be perfect for us.

We did Biblioplan for Middle Ages for 2nd grade but dd is advanced so we read a lot of the books. We LOVED every single one!! There was not a bad book in the bunch for us. It's probably even better now with the maps and so on! It does remind me of a really scaled back, much more manageable TOG.