Menu

How do you go about testing a highschooler for a learning disability?

Is it too late? I talked to my pediatrician several years ago because I was concerned about my son having dyslexia and he didn't act very concerned. I don't want my 16yo to think I think he is stupid either so I don't know how to approach the subject with him.

This is my career field; however, I have been out of the loop for a while, so take this for what it's worth-

I believe the learning centers they have out there now can do assessments that might be helpful (like Sylvan? maybe someone else knows about that?).

Otherwise, a psychologist or educational psychologist (even better) will be able to help. To diagnose a learning disability, a thorough workup is required which includes an aptitude (IQ) test and an achievement test. When these scores are compared, differences between areas of aptitude or between areas of aptitude and areas of achievement will provide hints as to what kind of help is necessary.

These evaluations cost money. Be prepared to spend about $1500. However, if you can get information that can help your child to succeed, it's well worth it.

When I was a student, we did these evaluations at my University's Psychology Clinic on a sliding scale. You might be able to travel to a University and have this done. It might take 3-5 appointments but then you wouldn't have to go back.

To get started, I would ask my pediatrician about a referral to someone local, and ask my insurance if such an assessment might be covered. If you have a University anywhere near you, it would be worth putting in a phone call there, too. Call their Psychology Dept., Psychology Clinic, or Educational Psychology Dept.

Best wishes.

I am sure that it would come as no surprise to him that he is struggling in certain areas. I would just sit down with him and let him know that it doesn't necessarily have to be so hard for him, and you might be able to find out specifically what the problem is so that you can tackle it together.

If you don't know what the problem is, it's like you and he are both groping around in the dark, and that is frustrating and will make him feel worse about his ability and his efforts than if he can work efficiently in a particular area and see improvement.

Thank you so much. My husband works at a university so I will ask him to check into it. I will also talk to his pediatritian and our insurance to see what it covered. You are right, it would be no surprise to him and hopefully he will understand.

:iagree: . . . although I would not look to a commercial company like Sylvan, but would turn to an ed-psych. We went through the Children's Hospital last spring for our 10-yo dd and, yes, our part after insurance was $1700. [Very important note]: We would have paid far more than that, except that the referring psychiatrist deliberately "wrote up" the referral/request to indicate a medical need. Most insurance policies will NOT cover straight-out educational testing.

It is NOT too late to investigate the situation with your son. Think ahead to his college and/or working years. Knowing if there is (or is not) an LD at play could make an enormous difference for him. Never mind what the pediatrician said, as it is not his/her area. As for your son, explain to him that LDs have nothing whatsoever to do with being "smart" or "stupid." My own LDs did not prevent me from obtaining one master's degree and 2/3 of a second one.

You're "a good mom" ( ! ! ) for looking into this !

This is my career field; however, I have been out of the loop for a while, so take this for what it's worth-

I believe the learning centers they have out there now can do assessments that might be helpful (like Sylvan? maybe someone else knows about that?).

Otherwise, a psychologist or educational psychologist (even better) will be able to help. To diagnose a learning disability, a thorough workup is required which includes an aptitude (IQ) test and an achievement test. When these scores are compared, differences between areas of aptitude or between areas of aptitude and areas of achievement will provide hints as to what kind of help is necessary.

These evaluations cost money. Be prepared to spend about $1500. However, if you can get information that can help your child to succeed, it's well worth it.

When I was a student, we did these evaluations at my University's Psychology Clinic on a sliding scale. You might be able to travel to a University and have this done. It might take 3-5 appointments but then you wouldn't have to go back.

To get started, I would ask my pediatrician about a referral to someone local, and ask my insurance if such an assessment might be covered. If you have a University anywhere near you, it would be worth putting in a phone call there, too. Call their Psychology Dept., Psychology Clinic, or Educational Psychology Dept.

Best wishes.

:iagree::iagree:- I agree w/both moms totally. It is never too late, matter of fact, this case happened w/my niece she was misdiagnosed and getting ready to exit highschool.

At the time, I was helping my friend advocate for her son. I found her an atty., and I spoke w/the atty and asked about my niece. She basically stated that my friends son was not as dire as the seventeen yo who had not been dxed improperly and was going out of highschool with no plan.

That all chnaged. My point is, as Orthodox, says he needs to self advocate for himself if he has learning disabilities w/employers, schools and comm. as a whole.

If your ps will work w/you they may be able to do it for free. Depending on city and state. They also can provide speech/ot if needed.

Also, look for an LD group in your area, sometimes they can have loads of info and offer support. Lots of hugs.

Steph, if your dh works at a university they may be willing to do it for free or for lesser cost. We had one of my dd's tested by someone that was getting their master's in psych. I can't remember if it was for free or reduced cost since we were connected with the university. We only had one test done and donated the cost to the student who did the testing.