Menu

best phonics program for 4 year olds who are reading well? little writing preferred.

matrips

I didn't want to hijack the thread on SWR, but it got me wondering which direction to go. my kids are great readers, but we have not done a phonics program yet. I do think it would be beneficial for them to learn the rules, both to continue reading well and for spelling down the road. I do not know all the phonics rules either, so I want to be able to help them without just saying 'well, this is how you pronounce it but I don't know why'. I'd rather be able to say 'here is the rule, let's sound it out'.

Handwriting is not a strong suit, so I don't want to do a program right now involving a lot of writing. I also don't need a program to teach them to read. But I do want a program that will provide the rules so they can sound out any new word they come across with ease, and be able to spell well in the future.

I have three kids I'd be using it with, 4.5 yo triplets. One ds is definitely more advanced in reading- can pronounce pretty much any word he runs across (and we're talking some large and strange ones!), other ds does well most of the time- sometimes a word he can't figure out, and dd who can read well, but not as well as her brothers. and she will often have a tough time figuring out a word. (I think she has memorized a lot)

Can anyone recommend a good approach to take? I'm okay with adapting a package that's out there. I can visualize doing oral 'spelling bees', but not in having them write down a ton of words.

Programs I'm considering are: Alphaphonics, SWR, OPGTR, and AAS. But I really don't know how they each work or compare. I've been trying to read tons of threads on them. But if anyone can summarize them here, and in reference to 4 year olds, that would be great!

Thank you!