Menu

The Singapore HIGs (Standard Edition) are just SO good!

HappyGrace

Really, if you're having trouble teaching Singapore, or not confident about your ability to do so (like I wasn't), or if you want to understand their methods better, these are what you're looking for! They really flesh out the program and offer games, manipulatives and other teaching tools to reinforce the learning. I'm sorry, I can't compare the Standard to the U.S. edition HIGs since I've never seen the U.S. ed. I did read on the Singapore forums that the Standard ed. have been improved.

I have 2A and 2B and I am very impressed. I used Right Start A, B, and C a few years ago because I wanted the "thinking math" approach of Asian math like this, but when I looked at Singapore at that time, it didn't teach *me* how to teach in that way. If I had had these HIGs, it would have helped me to do that. It is very similar to the way RS approaches things, and I would not have known the full extent of it with seeing just the text/wkbks.

I should note that it is very simple-it is not scripted or anything. But it does help you to understand where they're coming from with the method. And also for me I think it will help me with ds, who is 6, to keep moving forward at the more advanced speed he wants to because they give such nice games and reinforcement activities that you can approach certain topics a little earlier if they need it because it's done in a concrete way. LOVE it! :001_smile:

I have been mourning the fact that I don't need anymore HIG's, so I don't have a good excuse to buy them. Not that I really need them, but I just like having good materials around me.

Glad they are going to work so well for you!

Heather

I'm really envious! I keep hearing about how great the HIG's are, but my dd is almost finished with 4B, and they HIG aren't available for her level yet!! For one thing, it's a pain to correct her work without an answer key. I guess I can get them for the other kiddos!

I'm a bit confused about the Singapore HIGs...can someone here enlighten me?! I first saw HIGs offered by Sonlight, which I think are made by SL. I also saw some by MFW (which looking at them at a convention seem to be more of just a schedule). I didn't think that Singapore had their own, but then I noticed that Rainbow Resources seemed to have a number of HIGs - not SLs or MFWs... :confused:

Who publishes that HIGs that are so good? I'm started Singapore 2A in the Fall (as a supplement to Shiller Math) and wanted to get the HIG to go with it. I was going to get it from SL, but is there another one that's better?

The HIG's offered by Sonlight are for Singapore Math's U.S. Edition workbooks and textbooks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the schedule MFW sells is basically just that...a schedule. The HIG's being discussed in this thread are for the new Singapore Math Standard Edition textbooks and workbooks.

HTH:001_smile:

Edited by Charlotte

I'm a bit confused about the Singapore HIGs...can someone here enlighten me?! I first saw HIGs offered by Sonlight, which I think are made by SL. I also saw some by MFW (which looking at them at a convention seem to be more of just a schedule). I didn't think that Singapore had their own, but then I noticed that Rainbow Resources seemed to have a number of HIGs - not SLs or MFWs... :confused:

Who publishes that HIGs that are so good? I'm started Singapore 2A in the Fall (as a supplement to Shiller Math) and wanted to get the HIG to go with it. I was going to get it from SL, but is there another one that's better?

The biggest confusion probably comes from the fact that Singapore Primary Math introduced a new Standards edition of Primary Mathematics this past fall. The HIGs Sonlight sells are for the previous US edition and won't work with the standards edition. MFW appears to also use the US edition and from their website, I only see the answer key rather than the HIG (there is not a separate answer key for the standards edition, it's in the HIG). Rainbow Resource lists the 2nd grade as keyed to US edition, but don't say anything about level 1 or other levels (they look like the US edition ones, though). They are all published by Singapore Math. This faq page may be helpful http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm. If you hit the link for scope and sequence, you can get to a chart where the differences between the US and standards editions are nicely laid out. You can also look on this website to see what the different HIGs look like.

Because the standards edition is new, Singapore Math is still in the process of putting out HIGs to go along with that edition (the US edition ones won't work with the standards textbook/workbook). They have up to level 3B out now, with 4a HIG scheduled to be out in late summer and 4b by December.

In short, make sure that the edition of the HIG you buy matches the edition of Primary Mathematics that you buy.

Thanks for all the help explaining the HIGs! That FAQ link was especially helpful.

Does anyone here know if the HIGs that SL sells for the US edition are made by SL, or if they are the ones by Singapore? I was under the impression that SL put them together, but that puzzles me since Singapore apparently makes them for the US edition too. (I'm ordering from SL anyway, and I haven't decided if I want to use the US edition or the Standards one.)

Thanks for all the help explaining the HIGs! That FAQ link was especially helpful.

Does anyone here know if the HIGs that SL sells for the US edition are made by SL, or if they are the ones by Singapore? I was under the impression that SL put them together, but that puzzles me since Singapore apparently makes them for the US edition too. (I'm ordering from SL anyway, and I haven't decided if I want to use the US edition or the Standards one.)

Per the info on the Singapore Math forums http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/index.php, the SL HIG is the same one sold by Singaporemath.com, written by Jenny, the moderator on the forums there. I believe she is also writing the ones for the standards edition. I was wrong, btw, the US edition HIGs are published by Sonlight, not Singaporemath.com. Another poster on there said that the MFW ones are not the same, but more than just the answer key.

"Sonlight only has/published guides for 2A to 6B for US edition of Primary Mathematics. The 1A and 1B are published by Singaporemath.com, for both US and Standards edition. All guides for the Standards edition, which are not all out, will be published by Singaporemath.com "

If you order your math from Sonlight, you will get the US edition, as it doesn't appear that they offer the standards edition.

Per the info on the Singapore Math forums http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/index.php, the SL HIG is the same one sold by Singaporemath.com, written by Jenny, the moderator on the forums there. I believe she is also writing the ones for the standards edition. I was wrong, btw, the US edition HIGs are published by Sonlight, not Singaporemath.com. Another poster on there said that the MFW ones are not the same, but more than just the answer key.

"Sonlight only has/published guides for 2A to 6B for US edition of Primary Mathematics. The 1A and 1B are published by Singaporemath.com, for both US and Standards edition. All guides for the Standards edition, which are not all out, will be published by Singaporemath.com "

If you order your math from Sonlight, you will get the US edition, as it doesn't appear that they offer the standards edition.

Correct. The HIG's started out as a SL project and Jenny wrote the guides for them, but SL didn't feel people would buy the 1A and 1B guides, at least enough to make it cost effective, thus they opted not to publish them. Singapore math then decided to finish the series.

SL doesn't carry any of the standards version series and I doubt they will as California is a small part of their market combined with the fact it is in their own interest to keep the US version in order to encourage the purchase of the texts they published (in case someone might take this the wrong way I am not say that is bad, they just have a financial investment that limits their ability to change).

The HIG for Standards 4A is due out around August, 4B is around December, and 5A will probalby be in the sprint with 5B in the late spring summer, or so was the news the last time I saw Jenny post on the Singapore forums.

Heather

Correct. The HIG's started out as a SL project and Jenny wrote the guides for them, but SL didn't feel people would buy the 1A and 1B guides, at least enough to make it cost effective, thus they opted not to publish them. Singapore math then decided to finish the series.

SL doesn't carry any of the standards version series and I doubt they will as California is a small part of their market combined with the fact it is in their own interest to keep the US version in order to encourage the purchase of the texts they published (in case someone might take this the wrong way I am not say that is bad, they just have a financial investment that limits their ability to change).

The HIG for Standards 4A is due out around August, 4B is around December, and 5A will probalby be in the sprint with 5B in the late spring summer, or so was the news the last time I saw Jenny post on the Singapore forums.

Heather

Wow! You ladies are a wealth of information! Thanks so much for your help. This thread has exactly the information I was looking for.