Menu

Do you use Daily Grams along side Easy Grammar?

thundersweet

I used them both last year (my first year HS'ing) and will continue to do so in the future. For my (last year) 3rd grader, he did one Daily Gram then 1-2 worksheets from Easy Grammar. We would go over the reading (lesson)together then he would do the worksheets and DG indepently. I thought the DG were important to keep them practicing capitalization, punctuation, etc when we was doing his lesson in adverbs, for example. HTH.:001_smile:

I was wondering the same thing. I was planning on doing both with my son as we need more practice in grammar...but the Rainbow Resource site suggests only one...not both. I believe it stated both books would be overkill. Easy grammar says : I love the Easy Grammar teaching series; students love the step-by-step, easy-to-understand approach. However, must I use a Daily Grams?

A. No, but daily reviews using these texts result in even more mastery of concepts.

from rainbow:

"

What’s the difference between Easy Grammar and Daily Grams? Covering grammatical concepts with engaging simplicity, these two programs are companions and complementary but serve different purposes. While Easy Grammar provides a systematic presentation of concepts, Daily Grams provides daily practice. They are each stand-alone programs, and Daily Grams can easily be used with other grammar programs or independently. Using them at the same time would be a bit of overkill; as you would be adding further practice to an already very complete course. However, in periods where the student is doing quite a bit of writing or if you want to follow a year of intensive grammar with a lighter year, Daily Grams are a good way to keep grammar skills sharp without bogging students down with too much English. "

I would suggest using Daily Grams along with Easy Grammar, especially considering your child's age. The extra practice she will receive will be very beneficial and the sentence combining is an added plus (something that is not included in EG).

My daughter does her Daily Gram book (1 pg. per day) on her own and we do Easy Grammar (1-2 pgs. per day) together.

There is very little time involved in doing both of these books on a daily basis.

Amy

Daily Grams is irrelevant. :-)

Easy Grammar is enough, IMHO, but if I were going to use it, it would be as a supplement, in between years of EG: EG one year, DG the next, then EG, and so on. DG was written to be purely supplemental, which by definition means it is nonessential.

The reason I wouldn't use DG simultaneously, especially if it's the first year using EG, is that DG *reviews concepts already taught*; if your dc hasn't done EG before, he'll be befuddled right away, because DG will have something on punctuation, capitalization, and other concepts EG has not yet taught.

Edited by Ellie