Menu

Would you say this sentence is punctuated correctly?

Clonlara's experienced, professional Advisors guide you through student assessment; design, development and delivery of curriculum, and evaluation of learning.

Would you say this sentence is punctuated correctly?

And what do you think the difference is between student assessment and evaluation of learning? Would student assessment be an assessment of that point in time (as compared to peers) and evaluation of learning be over the course of time (generally a year)?

Looks like I'm giving myself a lesson in reading comprehension, eh? ;)

Thanks for your opinion.

"Clonlara's experienced, professional Advisors guide you through student assessment; design, development and delivery of curriculum, and evaluation of learning. "

I think the advisors help with assessment of the student. Then based on that assessment they design, develop and deliver a curriculum. After the curriculum is used the evaluate the learning. Does that make sense with what you were thinking?

HTH,

Mary

It looks odd, but I think that's one of the two ways to use a semicolon. It does seem redundant though to use both "assessment" and "evaluation". It's awkward at the very least - if not incorrect. Why would they capitalize "advisors"?

My first thought was that a ":" would be preferable to the ";", but I'm not sure that

design, development and delivery of curriculum
fits into "student assessment." Maybe something like "guide you through the educational process" ...

ETA: Hmmmm ... well I totally read the sentence wrong. I agree with the others that "... student assessment; design, development of curriculum; and evaluation of learning." would be the way to punctuate as written.

Edited by ladydusk

"Clonlara's experienced, professional Advisors guide you through student assessment; design, development and delivery of curriculum, and evaluation of learning. "

I think the advisors help with assessment of the student. Then based on that assessment they design, develop and deliver a curriculum. After the curriculum is used the evaluate the learning. Does that make sense with what you were thinking?

HTH,

Mary

:iagree: The last comma should be a semi-colon.

Can we lowercase Advisors while we're at it?

:iagree: The last comma should be a semi-colon.

Can we lowercase Advisors while we're at it?

Okay, quick consensus on last comma ought to be a semi-colon and advisors should be lowercase. Actually spell check (on TWTM board) likes advisers and not advisors. But, I get the drift either way.

Now for the meaning:

Clonlara's experienced, professional advisors guide you through student assessment; design, development and delivery of curriculum; and evaluation of learning.

To me, this means that the advisors:

guide you through student assessment

guide you through design, development and delivery of curriculum

guide you through evaluation of learning

I would love it if (as Mary in VA says) that the advisor designed, developed, and delivered the curriculum.

Any other opinions?

Quote:

Clonlara's experienced, professional advisors guide you through student assessment; design, development and delivery of curriculum; and evaluation of learning.

To me, this means that the advisors:

guide you through student assessment

guide you through design, development and delivery of curriculum

guide you through evaluation of learning

Maybe:

"Clonlara's experienced, professional advisors guide you through: [initial] student assessment; design, development and delivery of curriculum; and evaluation of learning."

Sue,

Look at the semi-colon notes in your AG book. That use of the semi-colon instead of the comma is what we call the "super comma." Hope that helps.

Thanks, Erin. I'll check it. We start Season 3 on Monday. I thought that the last comma should be a semi-colon. You would think that at a school's website...But then, no one's perfect. ;)