Menu

Saxon users - I have some questions!

Sherri in MI

I am considering using Saxon this coming year with my rising 5th grader. We finished Horizons 4 and I was planning on using TT6 this coming year, but can't afford it. I have the opportunity to purchase the Saxon 65 set for only $20. I looked at the Saxon 65 text and it has some review for my student, but some new concepts as well. I know nothing about Saxon for the middle grades, but it does look like it explains things better than Horizons, which is what I wanted. If we like Saxon this coming year, I'll just stick with it. I'll be supplementing with Life of Fred, which looks very appropriate for my reading-oriented son.

I looked at the Saxon website and it is no help at all - no descriptions whatsoever, even on the homeschool section. If they are trying to "sell" Saxon, they are not doing a very good job. Anyway, what is the latest edition of Saxon 65? Third or Fourth? My friend does not know what edition her Saxon is (doesn't it say on the books?) but she said on the back it says, "Seventh Printing May 1993". Is that an old edition? And if it is, does it matter in terms of using it? Or only when I want to resell it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sherri

http://www.homeschooldiscount.com/home2/SAX_middle_grades.pdf

Here you can download and have your child take a Saxon placement test.

We have the 2nd editions for most of our Saxon and it says it right on the outside of the book.

I do not know what the latest edition of Saxon is. If you look up CBD they give a pretty good description of Saxon BUT I would just have him take the placement test.

The Saxon Website used to have placement tests and a scope and sequence page but they seem to be under construction. Here's the page for 6/5.

The organization of the books may be a bit different. The ability to match new student pages (ie timed tests) to an older edition might be difficult. Matching a new TE, etc.

As far as using an older edition I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

You could also check out the prices at Rainbow Resource...they are pretty good and have a Saxon contest on during July.

Anyway, what is the latest edition of Saxon 65? Third or Fourth? My friend does not know what edition her Saxon is (doesn't it say on the books?) but she said on the back it says, "Seventh Printing May 1993". Is that an old edition? And if it is, does it matter in terms of using it? Or only when I want to resell it?

Sherri

I have older Saxon sets and love them. My 1st edition books do not state what edition they are, but my 2nd editions have 2nd edition on the cover. I use both older editions and they work well for us. They do sell, but not at the higher prices of a current edition.

HTH!

Third Edition content of Saxon 65 is quite a bit different than previous editions. It seems like they've added some concepts. So, if I go with Saxon, it looks like I'll be buying the newest edition. So there goes my money-saving reason.

If you do decide to buy the newest edition, you can probably save money buying through Rainbow Resources as opposed to buying directly from Saxon.

I'm not sure which version is the latest but I can tell you that the revision shouldn't affect the use..but it will affect the resale. I've used the older versions and even the teachers book to the new version almost matched up. It was just like a few problems here and there were changed. That's what we found anyway.