Menu

dh is traveling to Singapore on business--anything cool he should buy?

The maths books on the shelves in Singapore are not the same as the ones used by homeschoolers in the West. He might be able to buy My Pals are Here, but the 3rd edition is obsolete.

When I visited Singapore, I bought some lovely batik: napkins and place mats, as well as shorts. It all came from Malaysia, I think.

Laura

But he doesn't think he can just walk into a bookstore and buy them!

You can, indeed. But as Laura pointed out they are different editions from the ones Western homeschoolers are used to (at least, the elementary school ones). However, they are not expensive if you want to experiment.

Lots of people buy electronics in Singapore as the prices are lower here than in the West, especially with the GST (sales tax) refund. Some people look for the Singapore Airlines stewardesses' costumes as gifts, as well.

Feel free to ask further questions if you have any, and hope he has a great time :001_smile:

Anne in Singapore

Years ago I purchased all of my Singapore math (Primary Math) through a brick and mortar store in Singapore. They were shipped here wrapped in brown paper tied up with string. The cost was about $2 per book based on the exchange at that time and shipping was cheap. I think I paid less than $10 per level by the time it was all done.

Back then, there was no U.S. edition so my boys used the traditional books. They are all quite successful in math at this time. So, if you don't mind the traditional books, have your dh check out the bookstores. You might have him look at the science series also - I love Singapore science.