Menu

Genealogy - Amateur Genealogists on the board?

What kind of genealogy nut are you?  

1. 1. What kind of genealogy nut are you?

• Amateur Genealogist
    • Professional Genealogist
    • I do genealogy for my family only
    • I do/have done genealogy for both myself and others

I have a very interesting story in my husband's tree. I think I've posted it elsewhere recently, and since it's a long story, I won't get into it.

I'm very much an amateur, but I have helped out some friends with some of their trees, just for fun. I don't charge anything and don't dig too deep, but I do like doing it.

I have had a lot of footwork before me and still do.

On my dad's side, I was the "missing child" for most of my life and my mama was not forthcoming with information. I had to do my own footwork and all I had was an area and a name. I reunited with my family a few years ago.

On my mama's side, my grandmother had left her family behind and not looked back. My mama found that side of the family. My grandfather's mother immigrated from Finland and my mama was able to make contact with relatives there. Both my mama and my cousin have this information. My mama shared her information with cousin, cousin then cut contact once she had the information she needed. My mama has stubbornly refused to share this information with me, because it was one thing that she had over on me. So I will have to do all the footwork on this line myself to acquire the same information.

On my husband's side, I have interviewed various elderly relatives. On one side, most paperwork was lost as well as most of the stories. However, several diaries remained and I have copies of these. I also was able to borrow the family photo box, make scans of them and inquire as to names and places, and was permitted to keep any duplicates. Importance of doing this line...1) I've traced one line back to late 1400/early 1500 2) we are both part Cherokee...we need any information I can get to eventually acquire Nation status 3) hubby had a cousin that was also a "missing child" and is recently reunited with the family. I have information to share with him and his family :D

Edited by mommaduck

:lol: Totally understand that one! It's an addictive puzzle, yes?

Definitely!

I found my dad's uncle, one Dad thought had died a long time ago, he's 91 next month! That was a big eye opener. Dad's father committed suicide when my dad was just 8. He had to move away from where their family was (Fall River, Mass) and his mother never kept in touch. Finding out the familial home was still standing, and at that time still held by the Brodeur's, was so heart-warming. Unfortuneatly, they sold the house soon after, but I only found out once it was off the market. My dad, my dad's dad and all his brothers and sisters were raised in that house, we were all disappointed to find it was no longer in the family.

Dh's family is WAY more interesting than mine, lol! His mother was born in the states, but her parents and older sister were all from Scotland. His family is full of single mothers (he doesn't know his father), and I found out that our last name was assumed four or five generations ago. The original Lyon, in our line, was actually a Fruid, but once he was a grown man, he took his father's name (his parents never married). His mother married someone with a title (that I can't think of at this moment) when he was 7/8, but he, apparently, always knew who his father was.

I LOVE reading the church registers regarding his family. There's one entry that speaks of a "moral and virtuous young lady" marrying "a low dirty scoundrel of a man" :lol: Then, there's the couple that had children, in Scotland, but both parents at different times were charged with crimes and sent to Australia. The husband came back from his term and his wife commited some crime, off she goes. While she's there she starts a whole new family. She comes back, stays for a bit, then (purposefully?) commits another crime and back to Australia she goes... Only, she doesn't go back anymore.

It's like the most surprising, plot twisting story every told, lol, my family tree :lol:

My husband's sister is a professional genealogist in New England. She's written over a dozen books for families and communities. She makes pretty good money at it.

And, she discovered that their family is illegitimately related to King John Lackland. That means I'm kinda, sorta married into royalty! :D

The Flynt line seems to have it's heros and it's notoriously known.

A member of my line married into the Ball family and is listed in the family tree inside this book http://www.amazon.com/Slaves-Family-Ballantine-Readers-Circle/dp/0345431057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247755661&sr=1-1 I love this book! It's a refreshingly honest look at families and genealogy. The author first researched backwards, as typical, then found the mistress of his ancestor (a plantation owner and a slave), then traced that line forward to find present day decendents. Basically, he found all his black kin and set up or went to a family reunion. Pictures are included.

I have all my family lines back to Europe... except for the ones who can't seem to get out of Georgia! Errr!

Before I had kids, I worked on it atleast 1 Saturday per month. Now, it is all in boxes and the computer..... I get a few minutes a year! I miss it.

I have all my family lines back to Europe... except for the ones who can't seem to get out of Georgia! Errr!

Before I had kids, I worked on it atleast 1 Saturday per month. Now, it is all in boxes and the computer..... I get a few minutes a year! I miss it.

Is it possible that you have Cherokee or Creek in your line (not all Cherokee proclaimed their heritage if they were able to "pass" for white)?

The Flynt line seems to have it's heros and it's notoriously known.

A member of my line married into the Ball family and is listed in the family tree inside this book http://www.amazon.com/Slaves-Family-Ballantine-Readers-Circle/dp/0345431057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247755661&sr=1-1 I love this book! It's a refreshingly honest look at families and genealogy. The author first researched backwards, as typical, then found the mistress of his ancestor (a plantation owner and a slave), then traced that line forward to find present day decendents. Basically, he found all his black kin and set up or went to a family reunion. Pictures are included.

My mother's father's family found out about the black side of their family, when they all showed up to a family reunion :lol: It turned out that, when they were freed they were given my mother's family name and kept it. It's not a blood relation, but now they're all very proud to know eachother and call eachother family :) They're on my tree, but I had to add them in a convoluted way, since they aren't really related by blood or marraige...

My mother's father's family found out about the black side of their family, when they all showed up to a family reunion :lol: It turned out that, when they were freed they were given my mother's family name and kept it. It's not a blood relation, but now they're all very proud to know eachother and call eachother family :) They're on my tree, but I had to add them in a convoluted way, since they aren't really related by blood or marraige...

That is awesome! And I love the bolded part. I like that you included them in the family history as well. You're work may also assist others that work in African-American genealogy as tracing those lines can be difficult at times.

It's incredible, for them, to even have a vague history of their family at that point. It saddens me, that so many people cannot find their family history, because of that era. Combining what little they had with what little my mother's father's family had has given them deeper roots. What's really incredible is that the family reunion was in OK, but the family is from VA. I was really surprised to learn that my mother's father's people had originated so close to where we live now (the part that wasn't from OK to begin with anyway). Both families moved out west, what are the odds?!?

It's incredible, for them, to even have a vague history of their family at that point. It saddens me, that so many people cannot find their family history, because of that era. Combining what little they had with what little my mother's father's family had has given them deeper roots. What's really incredible is that the family reunion was in OK, but the family is from VA. I was really surprised to learn that my mother's father's people had originated so close to where we live now (the part that wasn't from OK to begin with anyway). Both families moved out west, what are the odds?!?

Believe it or not, the odds are not that great or unusual. The North came in and tore up the south. Many fled west and south (as far as Brazil and Argentina). Women were ripped from their families and sent to northern factories and children were taken away and spread out. These things happened to black and white alike.

Believe it or not, the odds are not that great or unusual. The North came in and tore up the south. Many fled west and south (as far as Brazil and Argentina). Women were ripped from their families and sent to northern factories and children were taken away and spread out. These things happened to black and white alike.

It is my understanding that the farm was dissembled BEFORE the war, so that makes perfect sense. It is rather incredible to see the devastation that was caused by the "good guys" :glare:, but then growing up in VA, I guess my opinion is tainted.

It is my understanding that the farm was dissembled BEFORE the war, so that makes perfect sense. It is rather incredible to see the devastation that was caused by the "good guys" :glare:, but then growing up in VA, I guess my opinion is tainted.

So is mine, but mine is from a lot of reading from both sides of the war (I was born in SC, but not raised there). My pastor got an earful when he had a stand in that started quoting Lincoln instead of Scripture and then he told me over the phone that his weekend plans were some Lincoln event going on in Philly. I gave him a history lesson.

my lines are either LONG or cut VERY short.

For example, my aunt and father were adopted by who I knew as my grandparents. when my dad was 14, he asked the lawyer who handled it to give him info on his birth parents. The lawyer told him he would when my dad turned 18. well, guess who died before that happened....<sigh>

Anyway, finding information has been next to impossible. The guess is that the adoption wasn't altogether legally handled.

I did find information on the people i knew as my grandparents but it took a long time and it isn't very far reaching, maybe mostly because of being international.

On my hubby's side, I was looking for his grandfather's birth father's information. Unfortunately, the young man died when grandfather was just a couple months old. I know that happened in Dallas but that is about all I know. Also, mom and baby stayed at a shelter/adoption/orphanage center for awhile. But I just can't find any information on this man. I did find LOTS of information on the man that married the mother later and raised the child as his own. I have his family back aways. But I couldn't find that biological information. Stinks.

Those are just two examples. But there is some neat stuff in the history. I can't wait til the resurrection to learn more about their lives :)