Menu

Master Planning

dcjlkplus3

I am trying to brainstorm a really good way to master plan for all next year. I know we will probably not stick entirely to it, but I like having it as a refrence. To a certain extent I already did this with SOTW 3 and trying to fit 42 chapters into 36 weeks. This is already done for us in Science. I like one of the options in FLL3 and can make one for FLL1. WWE is already set up this way.

Has anyone done this?

My thoughts are that excel is a good format for this, but what do you think?

I spent hours doing this last year, and by the end of the first week, I realized I had way over planned and promptly ditched it. If you want to do it, I would suggest doing it 9 weeks at a time, at least on stuff that may change (like all the extra stuff you want to do but may not have time for). For us, it has worked better to have a very rough plan. I have a chart that lists each subject, the books used for that subject, and how many days per week they need to do it in order to finish in 180 days. From that, I make a rough daily schedule-no times, just each student, the days of the week, and what subjects need to be done on each day. Then I fill in their weekly planners for three or four weeks at a time-my kids are older, so they each have their own planner. When they were younger, I just used one Teacher Planner book. I like using Word docs with tables inserted better than Excel.

I do my lesson plans for 130 days. I just put day 1 etc. at the top. Then each week I fill in kids planners(most of the time I just photo copy mine and tell them what day to use) I look at the book and divide the pages by 130 days then write day 1 on the beginning page. Then I will count out the desired number of pages (say 4 for a instance) and decide if it is a good place to stop sometimes I might add a page because it has a better stopping place. I then place day 2 on where I want to start next. Then I write the pages on my master plan. I know people don't like to write in books but it helps I also write what activity or work sheet to do with that lesson next to the day. I plan 130 days but we also have catch up days and craft days or whatever extra school type activities days. Mi doesn't gave a set # of days. But somedays life is a big learning day.