Menu

Spines for 5th grade ancients

Closeacademy

We will finish up SOTW 4 and I really don't want to do Kingfisher. We are looking at basically doing biography for the next cycle. I am looking at using for ancients (which may span 1-2 years):

the Bible

Famous Men of Greece

Famous Men of Rome

Is there a Famous Men of the Ancient World or Egypt or some such thing out there?

(I know there isn't because I've searched for it extensively over the last 3 weeks but maybe someone else knows something I don't.)

Thanks.:001_smile:

We will finish up SOTW 4 and I really don't want to do Kingfisher. We are looking at basically doing biography for the next cycle. I am looking at using for ancients (which may span 1-2 years):

the Bible

Famous Men of Greece

Famous Men of Rome

Is there a Famous Men of the Ancient World or Egypt or some such thing out there?

(I know there isn't because I've searched for it extensively over the last 3 weeks but maybe someone else knows something I don't.)

There's The Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller. I read it aloud to my 6th adn 4th grader this year. It covers Biblical and Ancient History. Mostly it's Biblical History and it touches on other countries--Eygpt, Assyria, Babylon, etc--as they intersect with the Bible.

Although we shall use the older Kingfisher for overview of the time period, dd (entering 5th) shall use the Memoria Press study versions of the "Famous Men of Greece", coupled with Guerber's book on ancient Greece, as her primary history materials. This is a solid years's worth of history. I had thought to do both Memoria's Greece and Rome during the same year, but changed my mind when the sets arrived and I realized how we would not do justice to either set by scurrying through both in only 36-40 weeks. The Greenleaf guides for Greece and Rome are sufficiently easier that both of them could be done in one year.

Guerber's "ancient world" is mistitled, in my opinion. It is her retelling of the Old Testament, rather than a history of the ancient world. (OT is ancient history, of course, but not of the entire world for that time period.) (This book, btw, is the same one cited as published by Christine Miller.)

We're using The Pharaoh's of Ancient Egypt by Payne as our spine for ancient Egypt for my 5th grader next year. I would say it is mostly biographical. To cover the other near east civilizations, I have scheduled:

Mesopotamia by Shuter

The Indus Valley by Aronovsky

The Phoenicians by Odijk

The Assyrians by Landau

The Babylonians by Landau

The Persian Empire by Zeinert (just the first two chapers)

HTH

Thanks this helps a lot. I've looked at the Guerber books and am going to sell my copies of Story of Greece and Rome.

But I will research these others as they seem to be more what we want to do. I've read through some of Famous Men of Rome and liked it.