Menu

Question about TOG Digital...

Susan in TN

I know I should ask this over there but I'm lazy and am not signed up on their forum. I have a print copy of Y1, and am planning to buy DE.

From what I understand, you can either sign up to have immediate access to DE on the internet, or you can have them ship a CD to you that will give you access. I am just not sure I understand what the difference is and why I would want one over the other. Dh said he thinks a hard copy would be better to have, but from what I understand, the info. is all accessed online. So what exactly would be on that disk?

It's better to download and make your own disc. They offer the cds as a courtesy for people for have dial up or other internet issues. If you order their cd every time they update DE, and there is a big update coming by September or there abouts, your disc is obsolete. You really don't even need to make a hard copy because you can download the DE you purchased as often as you like, it's at the Lampstand web site under your account info, unless you are worried Lampstand Press will go out of business then burn a disc.

Edited by Karenciavo

What would be the advantage to having both the DE and the printed version? I will be using the printed version alone for Y1 and think it will be plenty, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Blessings,

Lucinda

For me, it's simply to make it easier to print out worksheets and make workbooks - I have 3 students in 3 different levels. I started to print out pages for their writing notebooks (basic assignment pages, writing charts, "talking points") and then started playing around with the DE update sample on the TOG website. It was so much easier! Within seconds I could get to all the pages I needed to print without going back and forth from the Writing Aid's disk to my notebook and so forth.

If I were more experienced with TOG, it might not make that much difference, but at this point in my life (with 3 students and 3 littles) I want EASY!

Plus they will be offering DE at half price to those who have already purchased a print copy. So for me it's worth the extra expense. When I buy subsequent years, I'll get the DE and print off a notebook for myself as well as for my students.

It's better to download and make your own disc. They offer the cds as a courtesy for people for have dial up or other internet issues. If you order their cd every time they update DE, and there is a big update coming by September or there abouts, your disc is obsolete. You really don't even need to make a hard copy because you can download the DE you purchased as often as you like, it's at the Lampstand web site under your account info, unless you are worried Lampstand Press will go out of business then burn a disc.

Thanks - that makes sense!

Would it make a big difference for a family with just one hs student to jump over to the DE edition? How does it work exactly? I wouldn't mind not having to wade through all of the LG, D and R levels as I plan out my UG student's assignments, etc.

Blessings,

Lucinda

As far as the curriculum itself goes, the DE is no different than owning print. You just see the very same pages as a pdf-type file on your computer screen, rather than flipping through a paper notebook.

The real advantage is in the upcoming upgrade of the interface. *note -- the curriculum itself is not changing at all * With the new interface, if you have TOG DE, Map Aids DE, Writing Aids DE, Government DE, etc., all of these will be integrated. When you click on Week 24, for example, you'll be able to see & print the curriculum for week 24, the loom documents for week 24, the Writing Aids documents for week 24, etc.

Right now, if you have the print version, you have to have all of your supplemental cd's handy to pop in the cd drive when you want to print them out.

The new DE interface just meshes all the supplements together and makes the ease of use much better.

You can see how all this looks at www.tapestryofgrace.com/de/beta

They have the first 3 weeks only of Year 1 loaded at this link so you can try it out. I think you have to download the locklizard interface to view it.

I'm excited about it!