Menu

What phonics program to go with AAS?

mo2

We used OPGTR alongside AAS for a while. It is very thorough. The only reason we quit was that dd learned best by spelling and I felt like we didn't need to be doing both AAS and OPGTR. I've kept it to pull out if and when we need reinforcement. I wrote the words and sentences on a white board because looking at the book was overwhelming for dd. We also use Happy Phonics for fun. DD loves the games.

I was trying to use AAS for teaching reading, but found it to be more complex for that purpose than was necessary. I recently bought Alpha Phonics and I don't think I've seen a phonics curriculum that is so simple and easy to use and my son is actually starting to read;-)

I do think AAS is a great curriculum and look forward to using it for spelling. I love that it will help reinforce the phonics rules and teach spelling at the same time.

I realize that AAS can be used as a reading instruction program by itself, but dd needs more than that. What phonics program would work well alongside AAS?

SL LA level 1 and AAS 1 lines up to cover similar material. They also schedule in Explode the Code books.

Heather