Menu

AAS questions . . .

jeri

Letter tiles . . . do you think they are really necessary or could I just have my kids write the words?

Also, if you are working with two kids at the same level, do you really need two sets of the student cards?

I have three kids with whom I will be using this. All have some or a lot of exposure to SWR and I think much of levels 1 adn 2 will be review. I just bought TM level one, (and one set of) SM level one, and TM level two and (1 set of ) SM level two. Can they share level two SM? Or must they all have the cards? I am starting them all at level one. Do you think the sharing is do-able?

Thanks.

jeri

In my opinion, it is acceptable to share the SM, especially as it is mostly review. I do my 2 kids at the same time, and they "master" words at the same time. I am sure you can keep track of any oddities w/o having 2 separate sets.

You can make your own letter tiles. My kids don't like spelling with them anyway. I still do them, they just ask if they can write them instead. I say, no, we're going to do some of them.

I am sure some other opinions and suggestion will follow shortly!

but I made this use them in the beginning of each lesson. As soon as I felt they understood the lesson being taught, I let them use a dry erase board for the rest of the lesson.

I did feel they were helpful in getting across the point of the lesson. Initially I didn't have them on magnets and once I put them on, the magnets helped a lot with my boys desire to use them.

Yes, I would say absolutely the letter tiles are an essential component of the program. If you were looking solely at expense, you could make your own and save a bit, but I wouldn't do without. That's part of the whole multi sensory, kinesthetic portion. But no, I would say you could easily share one set of student cards between two students.

I just got the tiles and magnets to make a change of pace for kiddo. I seem to have 3 S's, 3 E's and only 1 A. Is this the way it is supposed to be? I was very careful to keep everything on a clean table as I cut, and used a new trash bag, and the only thing in the bottom are the backs of the magnet tiles and some chewing gum. Did I lose an A?

BTW, he is very attracted to them and is currently letting his dessert melt while he arranges them over and over and works on

Barn cellar vs. barn seller

He never took to math manipulatives like this!

I just got the tiles and magnets to make a change of pace for kiddo. I seem to have 3 S's, 3 E's and only 1 A. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

The 3 S's & 3 E's is correct, but you should have two of every other letter of the alphabet. Look around some more for it but if you don't find it, you could email AAS and ask for another A.

Merry :-)

Letter tiles . . . do you think they are really necessary or could I just have my kids write the words?

Also, if you are working with two kids at the same level, do you really need two sets of the student cards?

I have three kids with whom I will be using this. All have some or a lot of exposure to SWR and I think much of levels 1 adn 2 will be review. I just bought TM level one, (and one set of) SM level one, and TM level two and (1 set of ) SM level two. Can they share level two SM? Or must they all have the cards? I am starting them all at level one. Do you think the sharing is do-able?

Thanks.

jeri

If you're teaching both kids at the same time, you can share the pack as long as you are willing for both to review all of the same things (ie, if one misses something, both would review it). If you want to teach them separately, you could stagger them so that the first one is done with book 1 before the next starts, etc...

I use the letter tiles mainly for demonstrating, though my kids sometimes use them too. I think the color, and seeing the phonogram teams as a unit really help as a visual tool. I'm glad we have them. My kids do usually write their words on hand-held white-boards though.

I would say a definite yes on the tiles. Part of learning the phonograms and spelling is the realization that one sound represents one phonogram. Each tile represents one phonograms even if it is a multi-letter phonogram. Using other letter tiles you will not get those letters grouped together as one unit and will miss a large part of this method.

Thanks.

jeri

Jeri,

I am a visual spacial learner, but yes I absolutely see things better with the tiles despite having the rule memorized with SWR. Given I am highly analytical sometimes the procedures they use also just click. Do 1 then 2 then 3...ok my box checking obsessive compulsive side jumps for joy! ;) That side finds SWR messy, LOL!

That said if the kids don't want to use them then I wouldn't make an issue of it. I think the biggest value is in the teaching time. I do have Sweet Pea (my oldest) do a couple sample words, then she moves to pencil and paper.

If both kids are doing the same words, no second sent of cards is needed. You only need a second set if they are working through the same book at different speeds. My kids were at such different levels I didn't combine them, but I do know people who do and only use one set of cards.

Level 2 has a lot of syllable work that SWR doesn't have, so you will actually find quite a bit of new material. Because of the excepts Wanda doesn't teach syllable rules (syllables yes, rules no).

Heather

The 3 S's & 3 E's is correct, but you should have two of every other letter of the alphabet. Look around some more for it but if you don't find it, you could email AAS and ask for another A.

Eureka!

Someone was found to be sequestering them in his bedroom, because they look so interesting.:D