Menu

HWT for K and pre-K

I think I've decided to use HWT for handwriting. DD will be using the K level book. She can already form most capital and some lowercase letters, though not always correctly. I think the workbook and slate would probably be fine for her. Is the teacher's manual worth getting? Keep in mind that I'll have at least 3 more kids who will use this.

DS will be ready for the pre-K level soon. And I'm sure he and younger dd will want to tag along on dd's lesssons. Considering this and that they are all very hands-on, which other extras do you all recommend?

Thanks!

We started in the K book and only used the slate for an "extra". It has worked great.

I bought the TM for K and 1st--and although it was interesting, I havent' used it after that look-through. Now in the PreK--maybe it has more "activities", but you can certainly work through the K and up books without the TM--it's up to you. I have NEVER done any of the additional activities suggested in it, and wish I'd used the $$ on something else; need to resell them at our next used curriculum fair----

Enjoy!

Betsy

I think I've decided to use HWT for handwriting. DD will be using the K level book. She can already form most capital and some lowercase letters, though not always correctly. I think the workbook and slate would probably be fine for her. Is the teacher's manual worth getting? Keep in mind that I'll have at least 3 more kids who will use this.

DS will be ready for the pre-K level soon. And I'm sure he and younger dd will want to tag along on dd's lesssons. Considering this and that they are all very hands-on, which other extras do you all recommend?

Thanks!

I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. I got just about everything in HWT Pre-K. I personally would recommend:

~The wooden pieces

~The student manual

~The teacher's manual

~The CD

~The slate

~The chalk pieces

~The flip crayons

~The blue mat

Those are the items we consistently use. Some of these items are not "absolute musts" (like the mat, for instance), but are very affordable and nice to have.

HTH. We love HWT. Be sure to check out the gentle "schedule" in the teacher's manual. I have found it surprisingly helpful in encouraging me to try a few activities that I otherwise probably would not have. :)

I am finishing the HWT level K with my dd and I think the teacher manual is worth it. It has a many good tips in it. Plus, the HWT website has great information -- watch the little videos in the teacher section. We are doing the first grade level next year, and I'm definitely getting the teacher edition.

I think the workbook and slate would probably be fine for her. Is the teacher's manual worth getting? Keep in mind that I'll have at least 3 more kids who will use this.

Well, I own all the teacher's manuals, but I hardly ever use them. Of course, I rarely use any teacher's manuals, so it's not just HWT.

My kids got a lot out of the slate, and I just bought the Roll-A-Dough set for my youngest. More for fun than because I thought she actually needed it.

BTW, where in the UP are you from? I spent summers as a child in the Wetmore area.

Tiffany

~The wooden pieces

~The student manual

~The teacher's manual

~The CD

~The slate

~The chalk pieces

~The flip crayons

~The blue mat

We have

• Pre-K student manual

• Pre-K teacher manual

• HWT slate

• our own chalk

• our own eraser

• HWT sponge cubes

• HWT flip crayons

• HWT golf pencils (aren't using yet)

I wish I had another slate, as my dd3 loves to use it too. I have a really cheap plastic one (why???) from a dollar store, and it barely works with chalk. I have found that dark construction paper works well--just doesn't really erase. I'd also like to have the Roll A Dough letter tray. We aren't currently using the student book or teacher book, but will get back to it eventually. I do appreciate having the teacher book with the pre-k student book.