Menu

Just when hubby threatens to "accidentally" smash the TV ...

in order to get a fancy shmancy new HD flatscreen, the washer conked out. The motor is trashed and the clothes didn't spin. So, the clothes have been on the line for 4 hours and some are still dripping (even with me wringing them out.) So, do I go for the front loader that I have been eyeing? or do I get another top loader and cringe at the amount of water I am using?

Meanwhile, I guess I need to duck-tape the hammer back in hubby's hand - the TV's fine!

Anyone got a fav washing machine for under $750?

All the new washers are supposed to be environmentally friendly. I was going to get a high capacity Whirlpool top loader without an agitator until I read user reviews saying it went out of balance easily.

Ours went out suddenly. We found a Bosch at Lowe's. It had been a demo or a discontinued model or something like that. We got it for under $700. I love it. Doesn't have a lot a fancy settings but it gets the job done. Plus, and this was one reason I never wanted a front loader, if I find a sock that was dropped on the way the the laundry, I can still stop the load to put it in because it uses so little water.

Is your hubby handy? Our washer has stopped spinning twice - it was a broken washer coupler. If you google it, you may find the fix to be do-able. I think the part is like $14.

Here is one website that gives instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/How_To_Replace_a_Washer_Coupler_Whirlpool_or_Mayt/

Hope that helps - otherwise I don't have advice for a new washer since ours is over 20 yrs old :confused:

Make sure you don't get one that is too big for your current dryer.

We are planning on a new dryer as well. Our current one is on its last legs as well. Our friendly neighborhood repairman keeps telling us that we will need a new one soon (and he would just love the business of keeping this one repaired.) Both are nearly 20 years old and have taken a lot of abuse.

I did a MAJOR splurge and got a Cabrio, and guess what? I have NEVER regretted it. And I almost always regret splurges.

Seriously, this washer is big enough for me to climb into. It's cut my laundry loads by 1/3. And...it's HE!

We are planning on a new dryer as well. Our current one is on its last legs as well. Our friendly neighborhood repairman keeps telling us that we will need a new one soon (and he would just love the business of keeping this one repaired.) Both are nearly 20 years old and have taken a lot of abuse.

For dryers: Buy CHEAP and BIG. As long as it has a sensor dry, you won't be saving/wasting money with a dryer. It's just a big heating coil, a fan, and a drum.