Menu

Yes, I used NARHS for my oldest, who graduated this year. Things went well until we got to the point of college applications. My son's teacher there told us that she would fill out the guidance counselor part of his college applications and compare him to the other students enrolled with NARHS. She was adamant that colleges would want to know how he compared with their other students.

Since NARHS doesn't have a fixed curriculum, and each parent chooses the specific courses that their child takes, it made no sense to me to have the NARHS teacher compare my son to their other students. I didn't see that there was any basis for comparison.

After that discussion, I decided to have my son apply to colleges as though he was not enrolled with NARHS. He applied with a transcript I made myself, I filled out the guidance counselor paperwork (after all I am his counselor), and he was accepted to 8 schools. So at the end of the process, we spent a lot of money with NARHS and didn't even use his NARHS diploma. I will not be enrolling my next child with them.

Unless you have a specific need for an outside diploma (e.g. state requirement, applying to service academy), then I'd recommend saving the money.

Brenda

I haven't used them yet, but I plan to. Our local CC will not allow homeschoolers to enroll unless they are at least 16, which for most kids (including my son) means 11th grade. However, any student enrolled in "school" can start CC in 10th grade, regardless of age. Since my son will be doing all HS level work in 8th grade, I plan to use a NARS transcript to show that he's a "10th grader" at 14, so he can take courses two years earlier than he could as a homeschooler. I don't know if I will continue with NARS beyond that point, or just use them to get into the CC.

I do know of people on other board who have used them and have been very happy with them.

Jackie

Then I realized how expensive it is for what they actually do for you (which isn't much) and they weren't very willing to work with my situation so I ended up out the money and doing it on my own anyway. I would like to use a program like this, but am not willing to spend that much money for the service.

It all depends on the state.city.job etc...

My df in NY is using NARS because they (the state) do not accept a hs diploma for many things. So far she has had a good experience with them. I also know two local families here who used and are currently using NARS. They did not/would not rank the graduate from two years ago, who was accepted to a local university. Their advisor didn't mirror Brenda's experience.

I have a question. If I choose to do a home transcript instead of utilizing a place like NARS for a hs diploma does that transcript count when applying for jobs, etc that want a hs transcript. For instance a city/state job? Military? FedEx etc.
Edited by Tammyla

I have a rising 9th and rising 10th. I just wonder if I decide to do the homeschool transcript at home, whether or not it will be an issue for them later in life. I mean....if they finish college will it prove to be an issue if they go to apply for a government, city/state, or private industry job. I wonder if anyone has ever run into this issue. And if so is there a way down the line to convert the credits to a diploma if necessary.

I have a rising 9th and rising 10th. I just wonder if I decide to do the homeschool transcript at home, whether or not it will be an issue for them later in life. I mean....if they finish college will it prove to be an issue if they go to apply for a government, city/state, or private industry job. I wonder if anyone has ever run into this issue. And if so is there a way down the line to convert the credits to a diploma if necessary.

The state of Maine (where NARS is located) provides an alternate way of getting a HS diploma, which is to complete one full year of college with passing grades. I believe NARS will issue a diploma under these conditions, so you would be able to get an official HS diploma (but no transcript, other than the college courses).

Jackie

Then I realized how expensive it is for what they actually do for you (which isn't much) and they weren't very willing to work with my situation so I ended up out the money and doing it on my own anyway. I would like to use a program like this, but am not willing to spend that much money for the service.

Luanne, can I ask what problems you had with them? If it's personal I understand, but if it's something you don't mind elaborating on (either here or in a PM), I'd be grateful for the info, since I was hoping to use them in a year or two.

TIA,

Jackie