Menu

Foolishness or generosity? What says the hive?

There is a man who will be chained to a throne for three days to raise money for Children's Hospice. The stunt is inspired by the story of King Canute. http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/news/Visitor-s-Clovelly-yesterdayhad-sneak-preview-Merlin-Cadogan-s-death-defying-student/article-1089146-detail/article.html is an article with more information.

Is it just me, or does this sound like an incredibly stupid stunt, aimed more at self-promotion than fund-raising? I heard a bit about the guy on the radio and he said that he's spent hours training for this. I wonder if he spent those training hours along with the 72 hours of the actual stunt working at a real job, and then donated that money to the Children's Hospice, there would be a whole lot more money going to the organization.

Am I just being a really sore sport about the whole thing? Maybe I've become too jaded in my old age.

I think I just see way too much of this kind of thing over here. Most of it isn't dangerous stunts, but there is so much 'fund-raising' that I'm getting tired of it. I don't get hit up for money often, so it's not a personal pet peeve or anything, but there are constantly news items about someone hiking to the top of Kilamanjaro or walking from Land's End to Scotland or shaving their head or whatever to raise money. I mean, if people really want to help others, shouldn't they be volunteering to serve meals at the hospice or clean the toilets there. I don't know. I think I'm just getting jaded.

This definitely depends on your point of view. Personally, all these stunts irritate the bejeeminies out of me, but I know some people eat this stuff up.

IOW, I'm with you, it's foolishness, but it will raise money for the charity, because there are people that enjoy this sort of foolishness.

These stunts raise awareness as well as money for the cause. Many people don't even realize the need for children's hospice care. We raise funds for childhood cancer research since my son is in treatment for leukemia, and we have participated in St. Baldricks where people shave their heads, walk-a-thons, and on and on, but the ones that really get the publicity are those that do something way out of the ordinary. That will get the word out which will inspire others to raise funds. If only I (and others) had the guts perhaps we could finally get the money needed to find a cure for these kids (adult treatments don't work on kids)!

I hope this does not step on any toes. I never really thought about it until we entered the fight a lifetime 2.5 years ago.