Menu

Cambridge Latin Online

I used them for my dd when she did Book 3.

I am not sure if you have separate U.S. tutors- I am pretty sure the tutors are British, using the British Cambridge and Independent Learning Manuals.

My dd was 13 or so. She is a fairly capable and independent worker, but the hope I had that the tutor would be a substitute for my attention, was not fulfilled. There is nothing wrong with the tutoring system or resources- I think they are fine. Its just that with Cambridge it is quite easy to fudge your way through and seem to be doing ok, but not actually know the grammar very well. Thats what happened with dd. I stayed hands off and she didnt do well in her final exam at all- however she redid the exam and passed.

So my suggestion is that if you use the Cambridge tutors, dont necessarily just hand over to them- keep an eye on what your child is doing and do the necessary drill, and vocab learning with them.

Thanks Sue & Peela!

Peela,

I was kind of thinking that my experience would be similar to yours. It sounds pretty open-ended to me. When I taught Latin there was a LOT of checking homework, quizzes and tests. Hmm. I'm still pretty undecided about foreign language as my "ridiculous thread" (I posted tonight) clearly shows.

Thanks again,

Holly