Menu

yogurt makers please help

I purchased some "fresh" liquid cultures online of Piima, Matsoni, Fil Mjolk, Viili, and buttermilk. these types are supposed to be left on the counter at room temperature for about 18 hours. I think they arrived spoiled, as there was separation and the smell was more like vinegar. The shipper did not use an ice pack. Maybe this was one expensive experiment gone bad. I followed instructions exactly so I honestly think the product was possible no longer good. I really wanted to try those different types, as one was supposed to have a mild flavor and be firm. They seemed to be more liquid with curds. I am afraid to try them. Also I did purchase some live culture buttermilk at the grocery, and it seemed to have worked, the buttermilk was a match with the store bought original buttermilk. Buttermilk is supposed to sit for 24 hours. I put lids on all my jars and put them in the fridge, I am afraid to try them. When in doubt throw it out. Should I throw it out, purchase dried powder cultures and try those? Should I use a table spoon of each (thick curd part) to try a new batch? Can someone give me some advise. I am upset that I spent the money. I was so excited to attempt these unique yogurts, and now I am disappointed. Should I have let it sit longer? Instructions said 18 hours.

Not sure about what you bought, but it's easy to make yogurt with a "start" from regular yogurt from the grocery store.

7 c. milk (not fat-free)

1/2 c. sugar (or alternative)

1 envelope knox unflavored gelatin

Cook above on stove top until reaches 180 degrees (use a candy thermom.)

Remove from heat and let cool to 112 degrees (about 1/2 hr. -45 min.)

In separate small bowl, take at least 4 TBSP. of yogurt and stir in some of the warm milk mixture. Add to pot of milk and wisk thoroughly.

Ladle milk mixture into 2 wide-mouth mason jars (if desired, stir in add 1 tsp. vanilla before putting into jars) and set on heating pad set to medium. Wrap in towels to keep heat in. (for good measure, I put a large kettle on top of it al, but also have done w/o it fine). Keep on heating pad for 4 hrs. and then refrigerate.

Always leave 4 TBSP. left for your next batch!

Enjoy.

Kimm

If you decide to go the powdered route, this place came highly recommended to me. I will be ordering next month when I have enough money saved. I am the type of person that says when in doubt, throw it out, but I understand the cost involved. Hopefully someone with some real knowledge will come to the rescue.

I bought the dried villi culture from Fermented Treasures and it's been wonderful. The texture, however, was not what I expected - it's not at all thick, nor is it like Elmer's glue, as one person described! Which is probably good... That would be gross!

If I want it to be thick, I have to leave it for 24 hours and then strain it through butter muslin, and even then, I've had one batch be too thin to strain effectively. This week, I had a happy accident. I always stir it up with a spoon and pour 1/2 cup off into a clean quart mason jar, and then I use the blender to whiz the remainder up to improve the texture. The next morning, the whey had dropped out of solution and I had 2 1/2 cups of nice thick yogurt on top. I have no idea whether this will be replicated in next week's batch, but I hope so! I add strawberry jam to the villi and my daughter and I eat it with almost every meal because it's absolutely delicious.

I tried culturing buttermilk using the cultured buttermilk from the grocery store, too, and I had nice thick results from that. I ended up making quark with it for my German friend and she has been enjoying a little taste of home.

Also, I've made yogurt using a yogurt maker and my crockpot, and the ease of making mesophilic yogurt cannot be overemphasized! Who wants to fool around with precise temperatures and timing when you can pour cold milk into a jar with 1/2 cup from your last batch, put it behind your computer monitor, where, for me, it's a perfect 73 degrees F, and have fresh yogurt in the morning?

My point in all this rambling is that I would try whisking up each batch that you have and add 1 tbsp. of each to clean, 1 cup canning jars. Top off with fresh, unhomoginized (if possible) whole milk so that you have a cup of liquid all together, cover each with a coffee filter secured with a rubberband, and leave for 24 hours in a warm place (70 to 75 degrees F - doublecheck with a thermometer). Also, be sure that each jar is several feet away from each other, or culture on successive days, because the cultures may contaminate and weaken each other. That's what the Internets said, anyway!

Finally, I don't know that a vinegar-y smell means that they have gone bad. The whey and different baterias may just smell different. If the results of a new culturing still smell off, though, I would contact the seller and see what they say.

Good luck!

Kimm,

I never tried using gelatin in my yogurt. How is the consistency when you're done? Is it thicker and more custard like?

Sorry to hijack, but I'm also wondering how everyone flavors their yogurt? My kids like fruity yogurt, but absolutely NO CHUNKS (their words).

Blessings,

lisa

I've never purchased special yogurt cultures, so I can't help you there.

I just use plain Dannon yogurt, which has live cultures.

Bring 1 qt. of whole milk (plus 1/2 cup dried) to 180F, let cool to 115F and stir in 2 Tbsp of the yogurt starter. Put in a quart jar and let sit for 6-12 hours in 100F (oven with the light on has worked for me).

I got my recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette. It thickens very well.

I threw it all out. I was planning to reorder from Fermented Treasures, or Cultures for Health. I have been baking our own bread, even hot dog and hamburger buns, this way I know what is in it. I did get some good buttermilk from the store, and was able to make more buttermilk. I plan to start making yogurt here soon, even if I have to strain it. I am attempting a more back to basics lifestyle. We have become too dependent on the grocery store convenience. My kids seem to love the bread, and now eat bread better, the never liked grocery store bread much, no matter what brand it was. I just have to take it a step at a time. This week I wil have to start making yogurt. Hopefully they will like the yogurt too. I appreciate everyone's tips and suggestions.