Menu

Soph the vet or others who know about dogs...

A stray pit bull puppy showed up in our yard yesterday. He's probably 6-8 months old and it's obvious he's been wandering for awhile. His paws are sore and he has some sores on his body too. He's thin and very hungry. We took him in and called a rescue organization, but they haven't returned our call yet so it looks like he'll be here at least through the weekend. He's friendly and well-behaved, so we don't mind having him here temporarily, but we don't want to adopt him. We're wondering what we should do to help get him healthy. We don't want to spend a lot of money because we're hoping the rescue organization will take him soon; if so, they will take care of getting him neutered, tested for heartworm, etc. We've bought food and flea repellent. Any suggestions for what we can do for his feet? Is there a gentle shampoo we can use that won't irritate his sores? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you have a local vet who may treat him for free?

My vet is really good about taking in strays.

My cat was left at his backdoor with a note and her scratching post. He had her for 3 months before we took her. She is the best kitty ever!!!

If the rescue organization won't take the dog, then I'll start calling the local vets to see what they will do. For now, we just want to take good care of him over the weekend and help him start getting healthy.

Update: After having a bath and being fed on a regular basis, the dog is looking much better. His sores are healing, and hopefully the flea and tick treatment will prevent new sores. He's obviously had some training before becoming a stray. He is sweet and well-mannered, and he's had no accidents in the house. I've always said I wouldn't own a pit bull, but we might end up keeping this dog.