Menu

Weekend trip ideas for SC, NC and VA

Dh and I have an opportunity to take a couple of days off w/o kids!:hurray:

We're looking for ideas on where to go. We thought about Myrtle Beach or the NC mountains but none of the websites we looked at felt quite right. Any suggestions?

My first response would be that I'd head either to the NC mountains or the outer banks or the Charleston, SC / Savannah GA area. I would skip Myrtle Beach. But what is it you are looking for? Busy city life, quiet time, beach or mountain scenery?

Disclaimer ~ I'm about 4-5 hours from Raleigh, in Beaufort SC (between Charleston and Savannah).

It depends on what you're looking for, I would say...

In VA, there is a Safari Park (open-range zoo, where the animals run around freely. They even have a giraffe feeding station where you can get up close). Safari Park is near Luray Caverns, which is another cool place to visit.

In SC, we have really enjoyed visiting Charleston. It is a very cool place with lots of history. We also like Kiawah Island ($$$) and Edisto Island (cheap and sort of remote) for vacations.

In NC, we LOVE the Wilmington area. Topsail Island (very affordable -- you can rent a 4-5 bedroom house on the beach or across the street for about $1000) is our *favorite* place. There is no nightlife to speak of, but it is amazing to be able to go to a beach and have there be so few people around that there is no worry about the kids being taken. It's a very neat place that is nothing like the suburban area we live in.

Personally, I'd go for Nags Head. We went to Hatteras and Ocracoke once too- that was kind of neat. It was right after they'd moved the lighthouse, and you could still see the path they used, and the old sandbags down by the ocean.