Menu

Science quandary!

jensway

Trying to come to a decision on science for my 6th grader. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for my ds that likes science and learns best by hands on curriculum.

I was looking at PH Science Explorer-earth science, but I'm not sure how much of it can we do hands on. Also can anyone tell me about Singapore Science--maybe the interactive curriculum and which one would you use for a 6th grader?

I've just finished looking through the logic stage science recs in the new WTM book (checked it out from my library). I really like these recs better than the earlier ones! They are much more hands on and the kits used sound very good.

I happen to already have my year planned, but I do think there's some good stuff in there. If you have a chance, you might take a look at it!

I just received Noeo Chemistry III for my 6th grader. He wants to do chemistry, be challenged, and have lots of experiments. The kit looks great; however, the IG is only a schedule of the books and experiments with a few questions (no answers, as far as I can tell). I've been kind of spoiled with Apologia's explanation of an experiment's results. We'll see. I looked at Prentice Hall but couldn't tell how many experiments there would be.

We'll be supplementing with the History of Science and one of Joyce Hakim's science books-if I can figure out how to schedule it. I don't know if this helps. Good luck! You could look at Rainbow Science.

We just started using the new My Pals are Here science from Singapore. I have the complete program and we love, love, love it. We are doing the 3/4 books but I don't think the 5/6 books are much different as far as daily assignments, how the program works etc. The TM is wonderful and thorough. It walks you through each step of every lesson, gives you lists of what they should be learning and directions about scientific methods and learning methods that they should be picking up. It includes several websites that they have tracked down for every topic and lesson. It is easily understandable, builds a good foundation, and covers just about everything. I also bought the background book for the teacher and it is full of good information to make teaching the lessons easier. I thought I could get away with one textbook and workbook to copy/share but I am wishing now that each child had their own. There is individual reading that they do that really works better as silent reading than a read aloud. We also have the HOTS book and it is very helpful in improving their scientific reasoning and understanding. It can be as hands on or textbooky as you like - so far we are good with just doing the paper and pencil method. I am more impressed everyday with how well it is going and how much they are learning.

We just started using the new My Pals are Here science from Singapore. I have the complete program and we love, love, love it. We are doing the 3/4 books but I don't think the 5/6 books are much different as far as daily assignments, how the program works etc. The TM is wonderful and thorough. It walks you through each step of every lesson, gives you lists of what they should be learning and directions about scientific methods and learning methods that they should be picking up. It includes several websites that they have tracked down for every topic and lesson. It is easily understandable, builds a good foundation, and covers just about everything. I also bought the background book for the teacher and it is full of good information to make teaching the lessons easier. I thought I could get away with one textbook and workbook to copy/share but I am wishing now that each child had their own. There is individual reading that they do that really works better as silent reading than a read aloud. We also have the HOTS book and it is very helpful in improving their scientific reasoning and understanding. It can be as hands on or textbooky as you like - so far we are good with just doing the paper and pencil method. I am more impressed everyday with how well it is going and how much they are learning.

:iagree: I have MPAH 5/6 and it's an excellent program. However, I'd say it's about 70% biology and 30% physical science. Also, the different topics are mixed together in the different booklets based on themes (Cycles, Energy, Interactions), not broken out into biology, chemistry, and physics. For a 6th grader I would supplement in terms of content (depth & breadth) -- MPAH is very good at explaining concepts, making connections, and getting kids to think, but I feel like the amount of material covered might be a bit light for a 6th grader.

If you're interested in doing Earth Science (which is what most public schools cover in 6th grade), you might want to look at CPO Focus on Earth Science. You can usually pick up the textbook and workbook (called Investigations) fairly inexpensively on ebay or Amazon.

Jackie