Menu

Forsake your country's birthday for Gay Pride Parade?

How would you feel if your federal and municipal government chose to pump (at least) $400,000. into Gay Pride Parade, but less than a week later, chose to cancel all fireworks for your country's birthday?

Toronto has always had fireworks displays on Canada Day. It's a tradition. Not this year. This Canada day (this Wednesday) all celebrations have been cancelled. Sure, they say it's because of city workers on strike. But they kept Gay Pride Parade going strong this past weekend. :confused:

As a former Torontian, I am shocked... well, maybe I'm not shocked. That's even worse. Because not only do they not have their priorities straight, (lol that's punny!) but they in effect, have no pride at all. (there we go again!)

So how would you feel? Aren't we all patriotic? Don't we all want to have one day a year to celebrate our county?

Here's the link: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jun/09062909.html

Apples and oranges.

Toronto has always had fireworks displays on Canada Day. It's a tradition. Not this year. This Canada day (this Wednesday) all celebrations have been cancelled. Sure, they say it's because of city workers on strike. But they kept Gay Pride Parade going strong this past weekend.
The Gay Pride Parade is a third-party event not staffed by city workers, though it is true that non-union city workers and some contractors participated in the cleanup afterward. The Indy and Caribana will not be cancelled if the strike is still on because they are also third-party events. The fireworks displays would have been staffed by city workers, and most of those whose job is to staff special events are on strike.

Toronto resident here, living through the city worker strike.

There will be Canada Day events (including fireworks) all over the city, just not city-sponsored ones. Toronto is the capital of our province (Ontario) and the Ontario government will be sponsoring fireworks on the lake. We will be attending a party at Downsview park, close to where we live.

Frankly, at this point, I'd rather get my garbage collection back than go see fireworks....

Apples and oranges.

The Gay Pride Parade is a third-party event not staffed by city workers, though it is true that non-union city workers and some contractors participated in the cleanup afterward. The Indy and Caribana will not be cancelled if the strike is still on because they are also third-party events. The fireworks displays would have been staffed by city workers, and most of those whose job is to staff special events are on strike.

Do you mean that no police force is needed? NO barricades were needed? No roads were approved/planned or cars removed from streets the day before?

I can't imagine any parade that doesn't have to have the city greatly involved. They may not pick up the garbage, but they have to handle security and planning.

Cancel it all if money is that tight.

Do you mean that no police force is needed? NO barricades were needed? No roads were approved/planned or cars removed from streets the day before?

I can't imagine any parade that doesn't have to have the city greatly involved. They may not pick up the garbage, but they have to handle security and planning.

Cancel it all if money is that tight.

Assuming Canada is similar to the US, police and fire are not allowed to strike. (No public safety union is)

Here's a list of what is affected:

• Garbage, recycling and compost pickup

• City-run daycare centres

• Water and sewer work

• Swimming pools

• Summer camps

• Community recreation centres

• Museums and galleries

• Toronto Islands ferries

• Some libraries

Frankly, at this point, I'd rather get my garbage collection back than go see fireworks....
I can imagine. :grouphug:

Here's a list of what is affected:

• Garbage, recycling and compost pickup - temporary dumps have been set up where we can take our garbage and compost....we've been asked to hold onto recycling for now.
  • City-run daycare centres
  • Water and sewer work
  • Swimming pools
  • City-run Summer camps
  • Community recreation centres
  • Museums and galleries - most are open...not sure which ones would be closed...I guess just city-run ones
  • Toronto Islands ferries
  • Some libraries - only the few small ones that are in community centres...our holds have been moved to stand-alone libraries

So how would you feel? Aren't we all patriotic? Don't we all want to have one day a year to celebrate our county?

I agree with the others that linking a gay pride parade and the fireworks is comparing two different things.

As for patriotism, that's not up to the city. I don't need a municipal celebration to feel patriotic or celebrate it.

A few clarifications....

Thanks. I hopefully made the point that the services the other poster was referencing were not affected. I seem to recall the last services strike being only 6 or 7 years ago? I simply cannot imagine a city the size of Toronto without garbage service, though I have friends who were there then (and are now).

I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. I would not think anything bad about a Gay Rights parade. The U.S. has seen minority groups fighting for their rights for decades. It's about time that gay rights are taken seriously. Ones sexual preferences should not be a strike against them anymore than being a man not white, being a woman, being hispanic, etc.

Personally, I don't care for fireworks. I don't think they are needed for any celebration. With July 4th looming, we have temporary fireworks stands in parking lots trying to sell patriotic entertainment. I think it's a waste of money. Just IMHO of course.

But I'm sorry you are so bummed about the decision. It's frustrating, I know. :(

My only beef is that if they're going to pull the plug on one celebration, they should have pulled the plug on the other. If they really wanted to keep the Canada Day celebration, they could have found a way to make it work. It really has nothing to do with gay rights, but more about Big Daddy not having a level hand.

My only beef is that if they're going to pull the plug on one celebration, they should have pulled the plug on the other. If they really wanted to keep the Canada Day celebration, they could have found a way to make it work. It really has nothing to do with gay rights, but more about Big Daddy not having a level hand.
Should they pull the plug on Caribana and the Indy too, even though they are also third party events? Can they even "pull the plug" on third party events?