Menu

SOTW

parias1126

I have a rising 2nd grader and was going to use SOTW The Ancients. I also have a CHILD starting K this Fall who will be following along with us. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use Vol 1 and study the Ancients with the 2 of them since we haven't done it yet. I know the TWTM suggests using it for 2nd grade which is why I am wondering.

I would also like to add to it since it is secular. What is the best biblical curriculum that you have used that follows SOTW? Looking for all opinions! I have been thinking of using Biblioplan and just using it as a guide, but don't want to overdo it. I have heard it is A LOT of reading.

I think you would enjoy SOTW 1. Some may be over your youngest's head, but that's OK. It's a love of history you want to cultivate. As far as adding to it, I wouldn't know, as we're just covering the Bible in a separate subject, Theology. I don't know much about Biblioplan, but this website should help you coordinate your Bible with your history studies.

Good luck!

Edited by sagira

I think you are fine doing SOTW with a 2nd grader and a K'er. My younger dd has been listening to SOTW and doing coloring pages since she was 3. We do use Biblioplan, but you don't need to do that if you are worried about overdoing it. Just get a good Bible storybook and read through some or all of it together. I think there are even schedules out there pairing SOTW with Bible storybooks, but it would also work to just read through it. Biblioplan schedules Bible reading--much of the history through 2Chronicles, a little Daniel, Isaiah, Esther, Nehemiah. Later while studying Romans there were readings from Luke and Acts. Our first time through I looked at the Bible chapters that were scheduled and then found the same thing in our Bible story book--definitely the right way to go with a 1st grader and 3 yo!

We love history here and Biblioplan has been very enjoyable for us (but yes, a lot of reading). My kids could sit and listen to me read forever it seems. But if your kids are more hands-on or have shorter attention spans, it wouldn't be a good fit.

SOTW 1 is fine for the K and 2nd. My DD has always wanted to do school along with us, even though she is 4 years younger than DS. When she was in K I'd make a big deal about getting ready to do history and she did just about everything right along with us and even had her own notebook for her work. But if she wandered off during the reading or didn't want to color the picture it didn't matter.

FWIW, I bought Biblioplan the first year we did ancients with DS, then after a few weeks decided not to use it. Since I still had it our second time around I pulled it out again and we did use it I think the whole year. My only complaint about plans such as TOG and Biblioplan is that they break-up the narrative flow of SOTW. Instead of reading it from beginning to end, you read chapter 3 and part of chapter 10, then chapters 2, then 7 and 8.... But they do the job of coordinating Bible history with secular history. There is a lot of OT reading in some sections of Biblioplan. But you may decide to break some of that up into school and bedtime reading, which worked for us.

Blessings!

What is the best biblical curriculum that you have used that follows SOTW? Looking for all opinions! I have been thinking of using Biblioplan and just using it as a guide, but don't want to overdo it. I have heard it is A LOT of reading.

We use SOTW alongside My Father's World. It's a wonderful match, IMHO. We're in the middle of SOTW 4 right now.

However, you might want to know that MFW doesn't start using SOTW until book 2 because there is so much ancient history in the Bible as a sourcebook.

Julie

I know the TWTM suggests using it for 2nd grade which is why I am wondering.

SOTW 1 is actually for first grade. Your second grader and K-er will do fine with it. I used it this past year with my then-first grader and K-er.

Tara