Menu

Start Latin or do a roots study first?

seewah

My oldest will be in 5th grade this year and we have done no roots studies whatsoever. We also have not studied much Latin at all. We did a few lessons of Prima Latina last year but it was too easy for him and he was very bored with the program (along with his 1st grade brother and me!).

This year I would love to start a Latin program with both the boys (5th grade and 2nd grade) but I do not know if they should be doing the same program or if I should buy separate programs for them.

I am considering Song School Latin for the 2nd grader. Here is what I am considering for the 5th grader: The Great Latin Adventure, Latin Prep (Galore Park), Minimus or Lively Latin.

Both boys are strong readers and have a good grasp of grammar.

If I start a Latin program, is there a need to still do a roots study this year? I am considering Vocabulary Vine or Red Hot Root Words as the spine for our roots study.

The boys will have plenty of vocabulary study this year between Megawords and Wordly Wise. Is adding in roots too much?

I would welcome your suggestions regarding whether to combine the boys, what Latin program(s) to consider and whether doing a roots study on top of Latin would be overkill.

Thanks so much! :)

Edited by seewah

I know that some people opt to have their kids work on both a Latin program and a roots program. I do not. My ds8 uses Lively Latin which incorporates a word roots component into the lessons. Since your boys will also be working on a vocabulary program, I think Latin + vocabulary + roots program = too much unnecessary work.

My son *really* likes Lively Latin, especially the Roman history sections. He's currently memorizing several stanzas of "Horatius at the Bridge". I think your 5th grader could start with Latin Prep fairly easily. I know that you'd probably want to keep the boys together (and spend less money!) with only 1 program, but I think LL would be too easy for your 5th grader.

I don't know anything about The Great Latin Adventure.

So, in sum, *I* wouldn't keep the kids together; *I* would use two different programs; *I* would not do a roots program. If you do choose to use Latin Prep, remember you can order it through Book Depository in Britain and not spend as much on shipping. Good luck with your decision.

What is your goal in studying Latin? Our homeschool goal is to read great works in Latin such as The Aenied; therefore, my boys are working through Great Latin Adventures (7th grader) or Wheelock's Latin (8th grader) next year. If your goal is to do well on the SAT or strengthen vocabulary, then a Latin roots program would be fine. If you decide to go with a full Latin program, then a supplemental Latin roots program is not necessary.

I really like what I see in Great Latin Adventures, but I haven't used it yet. I've never seen Latin Prep, Minimus, or Lively Latin.

My 2nd grader isn't doing a full-blown Latin program next year, but he will work alongside his older brother and memorize some of the vocabulary from Great Latin Adventures. I'll also teach him some of the grammar chants. You may just want to pick a program for your 5th grader and let your 2nd grader tag along at his own pace.

HTH!

This year I would love to start a Latin program with both the boys (5th grade and 2nd grade) but I do not know if they should be doing the same program or if I should buy separate programs for them.

Thanks so much! :)

If you are going to do Latin (which incorporates some borrowed Greek) you can probably dispense with the roots programme, at least for now. If you feel the need later, then you can add it in.

Of the programmes you mention, Minimus would be fun for your 2nd grader, but too simple for your fifth grader. Latin Prep would be perfect for the 5th and way, way too hard for the second. I have the same age spread with my children and have just decided to teach them separately: Calvin is on book three of Latin Prep; Hobbes starts Latin Prep one in September. I don't know the other programmes, but Lively Latin gets good reviews. I'm sure others will give you advice.

Best wishes

Laura

Howdy,

DD 7 yr uses Rosetta stone in afternoon.

Twins 13 yr, 7th using Basic Principles of Language with Latin Background this summer. I then have them enrolled in an online Latin program. They will be using Henle's books. I took an online Latin program 2 years ago Oxford Press books 1-3, more rigorous than the twins this coming year, and found it meaningful having an excellent teacher availale for questions.

I would not have liked a DVD or trying to self teach myself so I am not having the twins do that either. I got the material learnt and it is used weekly at Mass.

I decided on Great Latin Adventure for my upcoming 4th grader, and really like the looks of it. We haven't started it yet though. I too am planning to have my upcoming 2nd grader tag along by learning vocabulary words. I considered two seperate programs for them, but in the end decided I only wanted one and GLA looks like it will be great! :001_smile: