Menu

Sick toddler--what to do?

Around 6 this evening, my 2 year old started throwing up. He threw up what was left of his lunch. We tried giving him 1/4 of a children's pepto--threw that up. After a while, we tried giving him 1/4 tsp of emetrol--threw that up too. Since about 8pm, he's only had a few sips of water and he's thrown up up as well.

We don't know what else to do for him. Any ideas??

A friend, who is a nurse, told me to give very small sips of juice from a can of peaches. She said it should be the easiest to stay down. Also, if you have the scent of rubbing alcohol nearby the child (on a cotton ball or small cloth close to the child's face)- it prevents vomiting- from what I've been told. I sure hope your little one is feeling better soon.

Sorry for your little one, I understand how that goes. My dd always got the "throw ups" every time she got sick as a baby until she was about 2ish. Nothing would work and you just feel helpless. :(

On one of her well-baby checks, I asked the doctor about it and he told me to give her the chewable children's Dramamine. It is an orange tablet. When she was a baby I would give her 1/4 of a pill (they are easy to break) and by the time she was 2 I'd give her 1/2-3/4 of one. They work!! It was absolutely amazing. I still keep the stuff on hand just for upset bellies. :D

Oh, and they work for adults too!

HTH ... and good luck with your toddler.

Ginger helps stop throwing up (or it is an old wives tale). Anyway we give Ginger ale or ginger snap cookies.

The key is to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. So clear liquids. Pedalyte, water, etc.

then once things calm down the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast).

No the order doesn't matter. They can eat any of those things. We often substitute crackers for toast. Or potatoes for rice. How strictly we follow it depends on the severity of the intestinal crisis and the age of the kid. The key is that it is food that is easy on the stomach.

Ok, we have rice and toast for sure. Our applesauce is strawberry/banana, so it might be a bit too acidic. We'll see.

Dry toast or is butter ok?

I feel like such a fool, but my 5 year old has NEVER been sick like this. I have no clue what to do!! :confused::tongue_smilie:

carob powder kills intestinal bugs.

1 T. in applesauce or warm soymilk (from parent's magazine. it really works! I can never get my kids to take a whole Tablespoon. it doesn't stop it in its tracks.. but definitely helps. i have taken it myself

jello is good for upset tummies sometimes too. gets protein in them.

Mom used to give us sips of ginger ale when we were throwing-up-sick. Maybe it was the ginger? Ginger does work--it's recommended for morning sickness. I sprinkled ginger on toast with a bit of butter and a bit of cinnamon-sugar and that really helped me. If you use ground ginger straight from your spice cupboard, be careful how much you use--it's almost peppery.

If she just keeps throwing up everything you give her, wait a few hours before trying to give her anything else - like 4 hours. Her little tummy needs a break, time to rest. That's what my sister the doctor told me.

Also, the active ingredient in Dramamine is the same as Benadryl, which my mom told me is often given to cancer patients for nausea. So, if you have children's Benadryl but not Dramamine, you could try that too. Schmooey, who is not quite 2, takes 1 tsp. He weighs about 35 pounds.

Hope your little one feels better soon! I do hate the puking bugs. Bleah. :grouphug:

Sorry for your little one, I understand how that goes. My dd always got the "throw ups" every time she got sick as a baby until she was about 2ish. Nothing would work and you just feel helpless. :(

On one of her well-baby checks, I asked the doctor about it and he told me to give her the chewable children's Dramamine. It is an orange tablet. When she was a baby I would give her 1/4 of a pill (they are easy to break) and by the time she was 2 I'd give her 1/2-3/4 of one. They work!! It was absolutely amazing. I still keep the stuff on hand just for upset bellies. :D

Oh, and they work for adults too!

HTH ... and good luck with your toddler.

so do you give (or take) the Dramamine after the first time they throw up..or after several hours or what? Can you disove it in water or something if they don't want to eat anything??

This is interesting...I have never heard of this.

Thanks.

Kathy

A friend, who is a nurse, told me to give very small sips of juice from a can of peaches. She said it should be the easiest to stay down. Also, if you have the scent of rubbing alcohol nearby the child (on a cotton ball or small cloth close to the child's face)- it prevents vomiting- from what I've been told. I sure hope your little one is feeling better soon.

have you tried this? I wonder why this would work??

Kathy

so do you give (or take) the Dramamine after the first time they throw up..or after several hours or what? Can you disove it in water or something if they don't want to eat anything??

The chewable Dramamine is orange flavored, I think. My kids don't have any trouble eating them. They get upset stomachs on long car rides, and we've tried lots of things. I think we've only used Dramamine once, and it was more than car sickness...I think it was a stomach bug, so that combined with a long trip wasn't fun. I can't say how well it worked because of that. If we were home and they took it, it might have had better results. Or if it was just standard car sickness.

carob powder kills intestinal bugs.

1 T. in applesauce or warm soymilk (from parent's magazine. it really works! I can never get my kids to take a whole Tablespoon. it doesn't stop it in its tracks.. but definitely helps. i have taken it myself

jello is good for upset tummies sometimes too. gets protein in them.

Can you expand on the uses of carob powder, and where one can find it?

TIA!

Mom used to give us sips of ginger ale when we were throwing-up-sick. Maybe it was the ginger? Ginger does work--it's recommended for morning sickness. I sprinkled ginger on toast with a bit of butter and a bit of cinnamon-sugar and that really helped me. If you use ground ginger straight from your spice cupboard, be careful how much you use--it's almost peppery.

He loves cinnamon-sugar on toast, so that might work for breakfast, with the ginger. Thanks!!

If she just keeps throwing up everything you give her, wait a few hours before trying to give her anything else - like 4 hours. Her little tummy needs a break, time to rest. That's what my sister the doctor told me.

Also, the active ingredient in Dramamine is the same as Benadryl, which my mom told me is often given to cancer patients for nausea. So, if you have children's Benadryl but not Dramamine, you could try that too. Schmooey, who is not quite 2, takes 1 tsp. He weighs about 35 pounds.

Hope your little one feels better soon! I do hate the puking bugs. Bleah. :grouphug:

That's what we're doing right now. He's been sleeping about 45 minutes, so that's really good!!

And yes, we have Benadryl. We can try that too.

The couple times DS has had it, he's only thrown up once or twice. DD's had it a few times and will throw up every hour & a half for 6 hours or so- dry heaves after awhile. I've always tried to wait for about 4 hours after the last throw-up before even attempting a teaspoon of water.

Our pediatrician's web site says:

• Offer small amounts of clear fluids for 8 hours (no solid food) Offer clear fluids (not milk) in small amounts until 8 hours have passed without vomiting. For infants less than 1 year old, always use an oral electrolyte solution (such as Pedialyte or Kao Lectrolyte). Spoon or syringe feed your

baby 1 teaspoon (5 ml) every 5 minutes. Until you get some Pedialyte, give formula by teaspoonful in the same way. For a child over 1 year old with vomiting (but no diarrhea), the best fluid is water or ice chips because water can be directly absorbed across the stomach wall. If your child is 2 years old

or older water is best, but half-strength lemon-lime soda or Popsicles are also acceptable. Stir the soda until no fizz remains (the bubbles inflate the stomach and increase the chances of continued vomiting). Start with 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of the clear fluid, depending on your child's age,

every 5 minutes. After 4 hours without vomiting, double the amount each hour. If your child vomits using this treatment, rest the stomach completely for 1 hour and then start over but with smaller amounts. This one-swallow-at-a-time spoonfed approach rarely fails.

• Offer bland foods after 8 hours without vomiting After 8 hours without vomiting, your child can gradually return to a normal diet. Infants can start with bland foods such as cereal. If your baby only takes formula, give 1 or 2 ounces less per feeding than usual. Older children can start with such foods as saltine crackers, cereals, white bread, bland soups like "chicken with stars," rice, and mashed potatoes. Usually your child can be back on a normal diet within 24 hours after recovery from vomiting.

• Medicines Do not give your child any medicines by mouth for 8 hours. Oral medicines can irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse. If your child has a fever over 102°F (39°C), use acetaminophen suppositories. Call your health care provider if your child needs to continue taking a

prescription medicine.

• Common mistakes in the treatment of vomiting A common error is to give as much fluid at one time as your child wants rather than gradually increasing the amount. This almost always leads to continued vomiting. There is no effective drug or suppository for vomiting. Diet therapy is the answer. Vomiting alone (without diarrhea) rarely causes dehydration unless you are giving your child medicine by mouth.

(I will say, having to say no to cries and begging for sips of water is one of the worst parts. That and the cry of, "I'm hungry"- which in DD is a sign she's going to throw up again in about 5 minutes. :( )

Hope she feels better tomorrow.

Our pediatrician's web site says:

• Offer small amounts of clear fluids for 8 hours (no solid food) Offer clear fluids (not milk) in small amounts until 8 hours have passed without vomiting. For infants less than 1 year old, always use an oral electrolyte solution (such as Pedialyte or Kao Lectrolyte). Spoon or syringe feed your

baby 1 teaspoon (5 ml) every 5 minutes. Until you get some Pedialyte, give formula by teaspoonful in the same way. For a child over 1 year old with vomiting (but no diarrhea), the best fluid is water or ice chips because water can be directly absorbed across the stomach wall. If your child is 2 years old

or older water is best, but half-strength lemon-lime soda or Popsicles are also acceptable. Stir the soda until no fizz remains (the bubbles inflate the stomach and increase the chances of continued vomiting). Start with 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of the clear fluid, depending on your child's age,

every 5 minutes. After 4 hours without vomiting, double the amount each hour. If your child vomits using this treatment, rest the stomach completely for 1 hour and then start over but with smaller amounts. This one-swallow-at-a-time spoonfed approach rarely fails.

• Offer bland foods after 8 hours without vomiting After 8 hours without vomiting, your child can gradually return to a normal diet. Infants can start with bland foods such as cereal. If your baby only takes formula, give 1 or 2 ounces less per feeding than usual. Older children can start with such foods as saltine crackers, cereals, white bread, bland soups like "chicken with stars," rice, and mashed potatoes. Usually your child can be back on a normal diet within 24 hours after recovery from vomiting.

• Medicines Do not give your child any medicines by mouth for 8 hours. Oral medicines can irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse. If your child has a fever over 102°F (39°C), use acetaminophen suppositories. Call your health care provider if your child needs to continue taking a

prescription medicine.

• Common mistakes in the treatment of vomiting A common error is to give as much fluid at one time as your child wants rather than gradually increasing the amount. This almost always leads to continued vomiting. There is no effective drug or suppository for vomiting. Diet therapy is the answer. Vomiting alone (without diarrhea) rarely causes dehydration unless you are giving your child medicine by mouth.

This was very helpful. I remember hearing about this before, but in the panic of the moment, who remembers!! :)

A nurse taught my mom that if we are begging for water or something during the rest the tummy phase to let us rinse our mouth out with water and SPIT IT OUT. Obviously he is too little to do this, but you might try a damp washcloth or something to wet his mouth with. I have always followed wait 2 hrs after throwing up to allow any fluids and then start slowly with an ice cube or 1 tsp of water, etc. Very similar to what was posted from the ped's website. I have never had the throwing up not stop. Another thing to remember, initially, the body is purging something toxic. Don't fight that. Just don't encourage the continual throwing up by putting more in until the tummy resets.

A nurse taught my mom that if we are begging for water or something during the rest the tummy phase to let us rinse our mouth out with water and SPIT IT OUT. Obviously he is too little to do this, but you might try a damp washcloth or something to wet his mouth with. I have always followed wait 2 hrs after throwing up to allow any fluids and then start slowly with an ice cube or 1 tsp of water, etc. Very similar to what was posted from the ped's website. I have never had the throwing up not stop. Another thing to remember, initially, the body is purging something toxic. Don't fight that. Just don't encourage the continual throwing up by putting more in until the tummy resets.

Thank you. Those are good points. Thanks so much!

Can you expand on the uses of carob powder, and where one can find it?

TIA!

The People's Pharmacy Guide to Home and Herbal Remedies - Google Books Result

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Ency/Index.cfm/Id/1689004

See health benefits and concerns.

I have DH pick it up at the health food store. It is sometimes used as a substitute for chocolate.

http://www.herbalist.com/wiki.details/450/category/12/start/0/

This is interesting...I have never heard of this.

Thanks.

Kathy

I do try to give it as soon as possible, but sometimes that just doesn't work, you know. ;) So, I wait till there has been a 10 minute lull in the throwing up. Normally, dd would take it because it is orange flavored and pretty okay tasting. But on those days that she was not cooperating, I would crush it up with a tad bit of water and pour it into her mouth. The good things is that it is such a tiny bit of pill when they are little (1/4 -3/4 of a pill) that it doesn't take much water to get it down. Other times I would only crush it, put it on a the tip of a spoon, and put it in her mouth. Once it was in, she would swallow it. If needed I'd give her a very small amount of water, ginerale, or pedialyte to wash it down.