Menu

Branson MO Homeschooling Weekend?

We are planning on going to Branson the Wed-Fri before the HS weekend there. We have never been there, so I am looking for suggestions of things to do. This is just a family vacation, not for HS purposes, but of course when you can include things, all the better.

Any suggestions?

Not sure when the homeschooling weekend is there, but here are some ideas:

Silver Dollar City & White Water (these are theme parks), Ripley's Believe or Not, Titanic, mini golf, shows - Shepherd of the Hills, Dixie Stampede, Yakov, there are TONS of shows! Try a matinee for cheaper prices. Shopping at outlet malls and at The Landing.

Restaurants - Mel's Hard Luck Diner (singing waitstaff with burgers, shakes, etc.) There are several restaurants at The Landing. We like Cantina Laredo.

There is an Outback Steakhouse restaurant that is NOT part of the chain that is very good. Also, Falls Creek Steakhouse (I think that is the name) where they throw dinner rolls at you. Shorty Small's.

Have fun!

Our kids loved the Butterfly Garden. They are also still talking about the train ride. There is a train in downtown Branson which is a narrated ride through the mountains into Arkansas and back. We went to some great parks and walked on nature trails and rented a paddle boat. We found there were so many things to do that we didn't go to any shows this past year.

One of the best parts of our most recent trip was we rented a cottage at a resort instead of staying in a hotel room. It was a smidgy bit more expensive but we were able to make our own meals, grill out, and it provided more space so we weren't in each others hair the whole time like in a hotel. We stayed at the Tribesman resort and it was fantastic. It's also just down the road from Silver Dollar City.

Several trips ago we went to Dogwood Canyon park. It's owned by the Bass Pro Company and we were able to rent bicycles and take a lovely ride through their park. It was gorgeous!

www.branson.com has an event calendar at the bottom (past all the ads in a small rectangle).

http://www.branson-missouri.com/ also has a calendar of events and suggestions.

http://www.sunnydayguide.com/branson/br_attractions_activities.php is an online version of a coupon flier found all over Branson.

We love the Butterfly Palace, the train, shopping at the old downtown, and going to a local park called Stockstill on Epps Rd (just down from KMart).

HS weekend is the 3-4 of Oct. I wish they did more during the week for HS, but we are getting a better deal for just the weekdays. We planned the trip and then I looked to see if they had anything special for HS. I foudn it ironic that it coincides with out trip.

Thank you so much for your help.

We've been to Branson, MO on several trips, and although we homeschool we've never ventured there on HS week. Several reasons why, but our thing is to avoid over crowded times, and more. But I'll leave it at that.

I'd recommend the Butterfly Garden, not sure of the admission price. Our girls loved it when they were young, but not so much as they got older. They'd rather explore on their own and that's free.

Silver Dollar City is good. Shepard of the Hills is one we enjoy too. We've stayed at The Wilderness cabins (owned by Silver Dollar City, SDC) and they were nice, had plenty of room, and I believe you can get tickets there at a better rate when you stay there. I remember our cabin was The McCoy cabin and the one across the road was The Hatfield. Fun.

Unless you're really into seeing shows, I'd avoid that at all costs. Just my opinion.

Going hiking or fishing on Table Rock Lake might be an option. That's fun.

Drive up to Springfield, MO and visit the Bass Pro Shops. This is always a favorite of our family and we enjoy that for a good hour or two. Lots to see and explore there.

And if you want an experience in dining, on the way back to Branson stop at Lambert's Cafe--home of the Throwed Rolls. One of a kind, more than you could possibly hope to eat when you order (note, last time we were there they didn't take a debit/credit card) and is loads of fun. Go hungry and don't plan on eating again that day other than snacks. You get things like fried potatoes, rolls, fried okra, tomatoes and macaroni, in addition to your ordered meal.

Hope this helps.