Menu

CPO Science -- GRRR!

I finally decided to use CPO Earth Science next year, and after searching the boards, I decided to order the 2009 edition directly from the publisher. I called the 800 number rather than the regional rep, as another poster had recommended.

The operator wasn't sure whether she could even sell me the books over the phone, since it's "propietary information". :confused: She said I could either call the regional rep or fax the publisher a purchase order so that the business department could look it over and decide whether to approve it. :001_huh: So I did both, and now I'm sitting on my hands waiting for someone from CPO to deign to respond to little old non-institutional me. :glare: I really wanted to finalize this today, instead of having it hanging over my head for another week. I need to start planning next year's assignments, and I can't order experiment kits until I've looked at the lab manual.

Are the 2007 editions really so inferior to the 2009? I'm talking about the ones that DON'T say "Focus On..." in the title.

Maybe I should just go back to my original idea of doing logic-stage science a la WTM.

WWYD?

Are the 2007 editions really so inferior to the 2009? I'm talking about the ones that DON'T say "Focus On..." in the title.

Well, I went and bought the Focus On... editions before I realized there was much of a difference. Then I compared TOC's and there really isn't a huge difference - a unit on ecosystems got moved either from or to the Life science book in the Focus... series, but other than that they look just about the same. The one they really mucked about with is the Physical Science book. That's the one I'm holding out for the new edition with (I might even use the 9th grade book rather than the middle school one, as I think I'll be using it in 8th grade).

Anyway, I got the Focus on Earth Science, shrink-wrapped complete with the Lab book for $12.95 on ebay. I can't think the 2009 edition is that much different to be worth the hassle you seem to be going through...

The "Focus On ..." edition does not have astronomy in the Earth Science book (it mattered to us because my daughter really wanted to do astronomy next year but it might not matter to anybody else). Other than that they look pretty much the same (I have both since I didn't realize the difference before buying the focus on one :001_rolleyes: ). Also pretty much the entire content of the Investigations book for the non "focus on" is on the CPO website (yep, noticed that after I bought the book, off course!)

That's right. I remember now that was in one of those other threads. I also want the Astronomy chapters, even though there are only three, because I just can't imagine skipping it completely in the logic stage.

If the publisher ever gets back to me, I'll tell them to cancel the Investigations book, provided I haven't found a better deal elsewhere.

The "Focus On..." books are California state standards and the ones that don't say "Focus On" are not specific to a single state's standards.

The main difference in the California (Focus On) books is that Astronomy is in the Physical Science text, whereas in the nonCalifornia edition it's in Earth Science. The nonCalifornia Physical Science text substitutes 3 additional chapters on physics which are not in the California (Focus On) books.

If you want the astronomy chapters, it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy both the Earth Science and Physical Science texts from ebay, instead of trying to order the nonCalifornia text directly from the publisher. You should be able to buy both texts, plus their workbooks, for under $40 total, and I'm pretty sure the publisher sells a single textbook for more than that.

Jackie

The regional rep called me back. She just got back from vacation today. :thumbup: Very cool of her.

She told me that the 2007 national edition (non-Calfornia) is the most current edition. The 2009 is for the California edition, and they only update those every seven years.

Looks like I'll go the Amazon/Ebay route and cancel the purchase order with the publisher. Their prices are quite high.

I too am looking into CPO middle school science. I chatted with a front line office person at the end of CPO's 1-800 line and as soon as I mentioned teacher's edition they indicated I may have a problem ordering the texts. Apparently, CPO regularly gets order requests for teacher's guides from parents who want to give their kiddos a "leg up" with respect to their science grades. I was told approval for non-institutional orders get punted further up the line for screening.

:blink: ... the lengths some folks go the cheat the system.

Edited by HockeyMom
typos

I don't think the CPO teacher's edition is necessary. I have the TE for Focus on Life Science and it's mostly things like: suggestions for differentiated classroom instruction, lists of topics covered in each chapter and the corresponding "state standard," assessment rubrics, "teaching tips," etc. It does include the answers, but if you read the student book you shouldn't have much trouble getting the right answers. IMHO, it would be just as much work to read the TE. The TEs are hard to find on ebay/Amazon, and personally I don't think there is enough value in them to be worth the high cost (or hoop-jumping involved) to order them from the publisher.

BTW, for anyone looking for an interactive/online secular middle school science program, Homeschool Buyers Coop has the CyberEd/PLATO curricula available again:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1024

They also have Biology, Chemistry, and Physical Science for high school:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1046

I don't think they are as thorough as a textbook, but for anyone looking for something kids can do totally independently, CyberEd works well. It includes practice exercises and chapter quizzes, and the quizzes include online grading and a printable certificate saying the student passed (including their score).

Jackie