Menu

Does anyone use one of the free math programs?

springmama

I just read through lots of the math curricula that was listed on the free curriculum thread and some of it looks great! Of course, it could look great to me but be totally incomplete. I'm not a math person at all.

So, I'm asking here...do any of you use one of the free ones and are you happy with it? Is it missing something that you need to supplement? Does your child love it?

Also, I am trying to decide if it's cost effective. It does cost money to print these pages, but I guess if I only print the pages we need when we need them it won't be as bad as if I were to buy a whole new curriculum and then decide I don't like it, which I've done twice now. At least with these free programs I won't be out of money just by trying them with my dd.

I've looked closely at MEP and CSMP, though I haven't used them (or any formal curricula - see the ages of my kids :tongue_smilie:).

Quite a few people use MEP. I have not heard of any glaring omissions (except I believe it only uses the metric system, but that's easy to fix/supplement). I've been impressed with the primary program (haven't looked past Years 1-6). The MEP yahoo group would be able to help you there, too.

I really like CSMP, and again haven't noticed any glaring omissions. It was an experimental program, and has research that says CSMP students were equal to traditionally taught students in computation and better at problem solving. But it does require a teacher who understands math. I'm seriously thinking about using it, but I think I will be more concerned about mastery (as opposed to "trusting the spiral"), and might rearrange the lessons to spiral less.

MEP and CSMP are/were both used in schools and quite a lot of research went into each of them, so they are less likely than some to be missing something vital. Still, every program has its strong and weak points. It may be worth using standardized tests (some states have samples or old tests free online), or placement tests from other programs, to check if your dc have any holes (good to do with any program), and you could do a bit of supplementing in those areas if you wanted.

MEP & CSMP. My one mistake was not printing the TM for CSMP as some of it leaves me in the dark as they use some signs I've never seen before. Dd likes it, but until I break down and go print the TM (if there is one) we have to skip some of it. This is level 5.

MEP is great. I've been doing this with ds and I did print the TM part for it. He's doing the level 3, which is about the same level as SM 3, but different.

I'm using MEP. I used 2 and part of 3 this year and am using 3 and 4 this coming year. I don't print the TM, but keep the pdf on my laptop. Printing a whole section of worksheets at a time really cuts down on my frustration otherwise I will forget to print when I try to just print as I go.

I also use Singapore CWP, and a few other things (Ray's and BJU), but MEP is currently my main program.