Menu

Who has read "Ice Bound" by Dr. Jerri Nielson, or has seen the movie?

I watched the movie a few years ago, and again a few weeks ago (twice this time - I loved it). Then I ordered the book from the library and it came in a couple of days ago. Then last night on the CBC (Canada's national news) they announced that she had died on Tuesday! She had a recurrence of her cancer a few years ago.

It's a great book, chronicling her adventures as the doctor who "wintered over" in Antarctica in 1999, and found a br**st lump. She did her own biopsy and then trained other "Polies" to help her with chemo until her dramatic "early" rescue from the Pole. I picked up the book today, just after hearing about her death last night. It's fascinating.

Such a compelling story. I was sad to hear of the damage the whole situation did to the relationship between her and her kids. If I remember correctly, they were still in school when she went on her adventure. It sounded like a traumatic thing for all of them. I was sad to hear of her death.