Menu

Do what I have or HOD

mom4him

I have history for, a, well, maybe 2-3 yrs? I have been looking at HOD and really like what I see. I right not have Truthquest, some R&S for more SS, for this year and TQ TM's for 2-3 more years. I know I would use some of the reading books I have for TQ in the HOD. I just really like the way it is laid out by looking at the examples.

Sigh, I look at TQ and I simply get overwhelmed. Not sure why but I do. I have scaled it down from what I originally had planned but still seems like way more than we will ever get accomplished for this year and possibly next.

Any ideas?

I forgot to say that we would probably use Bigger Hearts for His Glory.

Edited by mom4him

Well I was in the same boat and opted to do HOD. :) We haven't started yet, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I used Truthquest AHYS I this past year and while we enjoyed it, it was SO HARD to get th rough. No matter how I tried to plan it, we just got bogged down it and seemed to not move forward fast enough. After a whole school year, we were barely halfway through Volume 1. I think it is more me than the curriculum, thouugh. I just generally do better with something more structured, even if I tweak it as I go.

Well I was in the same boat and opted to do HOD. :) We haven't started yet, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I used Truthquest AHYS I this past year and while we enjoyed it, it was SO HARD to get th rough. No matter how I tried to plan it, we just got bogged down it and seemed to not move forward fast enough. After a whole school year, we were barely halfway through Volume 1. I think it is more me than the curriculum, thouugh. I just generally do better with something more structured, even if I tweak it as I go.

Thanks for your reply, Sheila.

I really need the structure also. With Galloping the Globe I spent lots of time and made a structured schedule for myself. I have don't this to some extent with TQ AHYS I but still have so much more in it than we will ever get through.

Which one are you going to use this year? Do you think that most of the books that I have for TQ will fit with the Bigger Hearts for His Glory set?

I really hate to start from scratch but I just haven't been able to get a peace in my heart about the way we are going either.

I am using R&S English and Math and have their science also that I was going to use. I am also going to do All about Spelling and Writing With Ease with them. I am a bit worried that with HOD it might still be to much for us.

Thanks for any input.

How funny, I burned out with Galloping the Globe too. ;) Our most successful school years have been when we went with something with more of a plan such as MFW or SL.

We'll be doing Bigger this year. My dd will be doing the right side of Preparing but I want to keep her in Bigger so we can do a bit more American History. When we used TQ one of our spines was SOTW 3. My dc did enjoy that so I may add it in. Some of the storytime/DITHOR books do overlap with TQ, but the spines are different.

HTH!

do All about Spelling and Writing With Ease with them. I am a bit worried that with HOD it might still be to much for us.

Thanks for any input.

Spelling/Dictation, narration and copywork are included in HOD, in chunks to prevent burnout...so you really wouldn't have to add all this. The take the "kill two birds with one stone approach". Copywork and narration are from within the lessons, and accomplish the primary goal of copywork or narration, but also get the scripture memory verse, or science information into their notebooking project, etc.

If you like structure, HOD is the way to go. You could add in the books you have that aren't in the lessons easily by using them for read-alouds in the correct genre or in DITHOR in the correct genre.

I think what I am going to do is put the 4 TQ guides up for sale that I wouldn't use this year. If I can get them sold I will have a few $$ to invest in the HOD manual and a couple of the main books that I don't have.

Thanks for helping me work through all of this.

I have to say that I am extremely impressed with how HOD weaves bible and history together. Even if you just did HOD with the required history books you would have an amazing year. We are doing Preparing, but I am really only doing history, bible and poetry from the guidebook.

All I can say is that I constantly see how much time and effort went into linking the emotions and motivations behind our history with what the bible has to say about them. It is very gentle and yet my kids seem to remember what they are supposed to and still ask for more.

I looked at some used TQ guides today and was overwhelmed too. I have been using All Through the Ages to flesh out HOD for my youngest and oldest. When I see all those great books in TQ I know I would want to buy them all and would never get to the end of a volume.

Guest sarathan
I was trying to decide between TQ and HoD this year too, and ended up going with HoD Bigger Hearts.

Me too! :tongue_smilie: I came very close to doing TQ Am History I, but I changed my mind at the last minute to HOD Little Hearts and I'm so glad I did! :D

I sold all the history I had so we could do HOD this year. :)

Me too! I bought books from Sheila and then turned around and sold them!!

I kept going back and forth between SL Core 3, MFW Exp. to 1850 and TQ. I had particular needs in mind and when I found HOD I knew right away that it would help me to meet those needs.

Me too! I bought books from Sheila and then turned around and sold them!!

I kept going back and forth between SL Core 3, MFW Exp. to 1850 and TQ. I had particular needs in mind and when I found HOD I knew right away that it would help me to meet those needs.

This is what I am feeling. I know that I won't use all the program as I already have some of the things in place that I want to use but I am thinking that in the area of history/Bible/memorization etc it is going to be great!

Now I just need to find a manual used if possible.