Menu

Wise observations from dd I thought I'd share...

My 18 yod articulated something I have been thinking about lately because of a lot of negative homeschooling articles I have read. It is kind of a basic idea, yet I had not fully formed it in my mind. These are not her exact words, but you get the idea:

A homeschooled child walks a fine line. They must not be too different from other children or they will be thought of as odd or poorly *socialized*, but they must be different enough or else people will wonder what is the point of homeschooling. No one ever thinks of kids in the public school system in this manner. PS is not blamed or given credit for everything.

She has also observed that the notion of homeschooling is in itself taken from public school. She said she is finding herself thinking of it more in terms of *raising children*. She feels that people who do that are a subset of homeschoolers and of public schoolers. Recently she has seen some examples of PS kids who she felt were *raised* and some homeschool kids who she felt were not *raised* by their parents.

Obviously she is forming her own judgments and ideas now as an adult, and I am amazed at how they are so very different from my own at her age and even as I busily homeschooled all these years. I am watching in awe.

Very interesting time in parenting and in homeschooling. I thought some of you might like a little of the view from this end, and I am sure a lot of you have had similar experiences with your grown homeschoolers.

Today I am grateful for a lovely young lady who knows how to walk that fine line!

She has also observed that the notion of homeschooling is in itself taken from public school. She said she is finding herself thinking of it more in terms of *raising children*. She feels that people who do that are a subset of homeschoolers and of public schoolers. Recently she has seen some examples of PS kids who she felt were *raised* and some homeschool kids who she felt were not *raised* by their parents.

I absolutely agree with her. Well-educated, well-raised children have very little to do with method and very much to do with the parent.

Exactimundo!

Bunches of studies show that a child's success in whatever form of education is clearly linked to parental involvement.

You can go to a crappy ps and still do great if your parents are supporting you and helping whenever possible.