Menu

Recommendations for an ART CURRICULUM please:

Well for middle schoolers nothing could be simpler or more inexpensive than Art with a Pupose. My 14 year old daughter is doing the 8th grade one even though she is past that and is loving it. It is all instruction in Pen & Ink drawing. Different levels cover different things.

If you are looking for something with a broad range of projects, Atelier might fit. http://www.homeschoolart.com/ It goes up through level 8 but you could use it for an older child.

These are my two favorite programs. Not a whole lot is written for High School. I would think that in High School, a student could put together a list of art subjects like this:

Ceramics

Needle Art

Drawing

Pen & Ink

Water Color

Oil Painting

Scratch Board Art

Sculpture

Artist Study and then art done in that style

Then your student can look at the library for books & videos, buy supplies and have a go with it. You can also look for local classes that would cover a paticular topic with more expensive supplies or qualified instructors for more difficult lessons.

Check out this website: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/highlessons.html

God Bless,

Michelle

DD and I went to a Barry Stebbing workshop years ago. He made it so fun! He has a gift for encouraging young artists.

We have outsourced art for my DD because we had a wonderful art teacher in the area, but I have been thinking recently of adding this back and using one of Stebbing's programs to do it. You may want to take a look at his offerings. A couple of his titles are Feed My Sheep and How Great Thou Art.

It really depends on what you are looking for in an art program.

If you are looking for a little viewing of artwork and then getting down to the nitty-gritty of developing a skill in drawing or painting, I would suggest just using Artistic Pursuits Senior High books. They are fantastic all on their own.

(I just wrote a review of them on Curriculum Choice: AP High School)

If you are looking for a little deeper and trying to stick to the suggestions in TWTM, you might like my art plans.

Harmony Fine Arts

You can pop over there and view samples and book lists. I include the Annotated Mona Lisa, Sister Wendy-both the book and DVDs, and links to viewing artwork online. There is also a schedule included in my plans for AP as an option.

If you have any questions, please email me anytime.

Just so you know, 12th grade art plans are available on my website as a free download if you are interested in getting a general idea of how the plans are set up. Also, all my high school music appreciation plans are free as a download from my website as well.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom