Menu

Help me spend money on Amazon.com!

As a going away gift, a colleague gave me a gift certificate for amazon.com. I have a Kindle and this gift would allow me to buy about 3 books. I want to purchase some fiction for the plane ride and I typically read a lot of non-fiction. So I don't know what to buy.

What are the three BEST fiction titles you have read lately?

Just saw this morning that two books I'd HIGHLY recommend are on sale in their hard-copy form...Kindles are always about the same price:

The Canon: A Whirlygig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science (*awesome* book)

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (delightful piece of fiction)

Lori

I think I read the other day that you were reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. If you liked that, you will probably enjoy Outliers as well.

Enjoy your trip and your new life in Malaysia!

P.S. BTW, do you recommend Blink?

Actually, I've read Outliers and The Tipping Point but not Blink. However, my best friend says Blink is fabulous so it is on my list!

House of Leaves.

It will totally freak you out, but is really interesting--I have yet to slog all the way thru it, but I read the ending! lol It does contain some very graphic parts--s*x and violence, so for me, it was easy to scan those parts and not lose the story.

It's told thru several points of view, and has some hard parts to follow. There are references to Greek and Norse mythology, codes, footnotes to works that don't exist...

Just a little thing--on the cover is a raised pattern, which is the frequency pattern that would appear in a plate of sand laid on a speaker if the note Middle C was played. It's the tone that is heard thru the house. Also, the cover is short by one inch, which is the first anomaly found when the inside walls are measured and compared to the outside walls (there's more space inside the house than outside...).

House of Leaves.

It will totally freak you out, but is really interesting--I have yet to slog all the way thru it, but I read the ending! lol It does contain some very graphic parts--s*x and violence, so for me, it was easy to scan those parts and not lose the story.

It's told thru several points of view, and has some hard parts to follow. There are references to Greek and Norse mythology, codes, footnotes to works that don't exist...

Just a little thing--on the cover is a raised pattern, which is the frequency pattern that would appear in a plate of sand laid on a speaker if the note Middle C was played. It's the tone that is heard thru the house. Also, the cover is short by one inch, which is the first anomaly found when the inside walls are measured and compared to the outside walls (there's more space inside the house than outside...).

Wow, sounds really interesting!