Menu

Life of Fred placement

My ds11 loves math and loves to read. After learning about the LOF books on this forum, we found samples and he is so excited to start. My question is placement. He is nearly done with Saxon 7/6 and is entering 6th grade. He thought he knew most of the things mentioned in the contents of LOF Fractions, but some were unfamiliar. I don't know if I should start him there, or go to Decimals. Has anyone had experience with placement in this series? I emailed the writer of the books but so far haven't had a response.

Thank you!

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling 1, 3, 3 and 6

I let my DD do LOF Fractions in 2 weeks by reading and completing the Bridges only - she skipped the "Your Turn" exercises. We're doing the same in July with Decimals and then she will use Beginning Algebra for Fall semester. So you could do this type of quick review with fractions.

However, I believe each Fractions and Decimals are intended as 1 semester. If you skip or quickly review Fractions what will you use for the rest of the year when he completes Decimals & Percents?

I had intended to use LOF as a supplement to Saxon unless we decide to make it a stand-alone, not sure yet so I don't have a long-term plan. I mostly just fell in love with the product, know my son will love it, and thought it would be a fun thing to start over the summer. I got a response from Stanley (how great is that?) and he suggested starting at the beginning as ds is young. I think I'll take that advice and start with Fractions - ds wanted to do that book as it looked like fun, even if he knew some of it.

Thank you!

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

I think I'll take that advice and start with Fractions - ds wanted to do that book as it looked like fun, even if he knew some of it.

Thank you!

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Yes - I like that advice. He will start out ahead and feel good about the whole thing. And it will also give him a better understanding of what he already knows.

I second the vote to start at the beginning. (That way you'll also have the book on hand when your younger ones are ready for it!)
I third, fourth it? But I'd recommend not skipping the Your Turn to Play sections as sometimes additional teaching is found in these.