Menu

Am I crazy????

ProudGrandma

Am I the only one around here that can't seem to find the right curriculums for our family???? I am SOOOO frustrated. Right now, today, it is math. I started out the MUS....thought I LOVED it...but it was too worksheet oriented, and for one of my sons, THAT was like pulling teeth (the other two...not too bad)...so then I changed over to a program called Math On The Level, which is just the opposite...no worksheets (to speak of), just lots of games, using Math in real life and then some practice of problems in small doses...it really is a good program, I think, but it was too labor intensive and not directive enough for me...especially with needing to teach 3 kids this fall. So, I am on the look for another one. I have considered Saxon (knowing that it is a great program...but like MUS...it is worksheet oriented again.)...

So, please, 1st tell me if I am NUTS...and is there any help for me...buying curriculum anonymous or something....and then is there any kind of "Math" cure for my problem...suggestions for math curriculums. THANKS!!!!

Kathy

Well this has been my issue as well over the years (11 homeschool years) and my advice to you would be to find a program and stick with it because my kids struggle with math now. The programs I am sticking with are RightStart Math & Life of Fred math.

I chose RightStart because regular math wasn't clicking and I didn't want tons of worksheets and problems. It has been a great fit. I even combined my two younger children in the same level so that it is easier to get the teaching done and it works well for them.

LOF has been great because my daughter thinks it is hilarious, it doesn't take all day, it has limited problems, it is inexpensive and it is independent.

Michelle

There's a cure... Don't believe the myth that there is a perfect curriculum. ;) Truth is thirty years ago when folks started really homeschooling, there were virtually NO options. They had what they could find, what they could talk companies into selling, their choices were EXTREMELY limited. And they were able to school with it and succeed. These days we have so many options thrown at us we fall into this misguided belief that, like clothing, if we try on enough things, we'll get a perfect fit. Truth is, there is no perfect fit. Certainly there are curriculums that complement our teaching style or our kids' learning styles, but the truth is, a good curriculum is one you use and use consistently. I think most of us have BTDT, but once you don't fall so easily for whatever folks happen to be raving about at the minute and just really throw yourself into what you have, keeping in mind your personal family likes and dislikes, you'll find that a good fit is the comfortable old sweater that was itchy scratchy at first until it got some good wear into it. ;)