Menu

Need help putting together LA for 2nd Grader

winoelle

I am really stumped with Language Arts for my dd7. We just finished up 1st grade and we have done WWE1, ETC 2, 3, 4 and readers on our own. I would say she is reading on level, very fluent with things like Amelia Bedelia, likes but has occasional trouble with Magic Tree House. Anyway, I was looking at WP LA2 but am concerned it jumps ahead a bit, the readers for LA1 looked a bit behind. If I put my own program together (ugh) I was thinking something like:

WWE2

ETC 5,6

AAS

GWG

Books chosen from lists at Sonlight, WP, Ambleside, etc.

Would this be sufficient? Any thoughts or opinions? I really would like something already laid out, but will construct my own if needed. TIA

Noelle

I am really stumped with Language Arts for my dd7. We just finished up 1st grade and we have done WWE1, ETC 2, 3, 4 and readers on our own. I would say she is reading on level, very fluent with things like Amelia Bedelia, likes but has occasional trouble with Magic Tree House. Anyway, I was looking at WP LA2 but am concerned it jumps ahead a bit, the readers for LA1 looked a bit behind. If I put my own program together (ugh) I was thinking something like:

WWE2

ETC 5,6

AAS

GWG

Books chosen from lists at Sonlight, WP, Ambleside, etc.

Would this be sufficient? Any thoughts or opinions? I really would like something already laid out, but will construct my own if needed. TIA

Noelle

I think it would be more than enough for your 2nd g'er. Have you finished your phonics program? Does she perhaps need some more phonics instruction or just more practice? If it's practice she needs, let her read on three levels - 1. below her level: builds confidence & fluency and reinforces phonics; 2. on her level: practice harder phonics & reinforces previous lessons; 3. above her level: challenges her (don't frustrate her, however - give lots of help). Have her read aloud to you for 5 to 10 minutes per day so you can catch any errors.

Guest 4boys

To me, that seems like a lot for Gr. 2, although everyone has different opinions on it. Bailey is just starting Gr. 2 and I am planning on doing just WWE and ETC 5 through 8, plus some HWT for handwriting. I plan on leaving spelling and grammar for next year.

Personally, I would wait to start spelling until after you finish ETC. If you really wanted to do "spelling", you could use the ETC lists for spelling quizzes.

One thing you don't mention is memory work. Maybe memorizing some short, fun poems might be something to add? Also, will you be starting cursive this year? Some people do, and some wait until 3rd grade -- just wanted to make sure that was something you considered.

Memorization is a good idea, we haven't really done very much of that. I had planned to hold off on cursive until next year. I feel like, looking at the packaged language arts programs, that maybe I don't do enough. I guess though that maybe we do. Thanks for the insights so far. Any opinions on the packaged type language arts (WP, SL, etc)?

Noelle