Menu

SOTW1/Biblioplan

parias1126

I did use the AG when I did SOTW 1 with Biblioplan. The narration and review questions after each chapter were terrific to check what they'd learned and practice narration skills, and the coloring pages were fun for my wiggly guy who had trouble listening without something in his hands. He'd color while I read. We also made some fun recipes we found in the AG. We didn't do the crafts - that year I ordered Hands & Hearts activity kits which were terrific with the Ancients study - we made mosaics, frescos, etc. I didn't love the mapwork though - I think I like what I see of the Biblioplan maps better.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Yes, I used the AG as well but didn't do all the crafts. My dc loved to color while I read. One caution with Biblioplan and young elementary age. If you try to everything you may burn out your dc or yourself. I had a couple of friends who tried to do it all and ended up hating it. I did as much of the reading as possible and the maps but stayed away from keeping a timeline the first cycle through ( I've done all four years of Biblioplan and SOTW now). So now as I begin the second cycle, my oldest dd will be keeping a timeline and doing additional outlining, reading and writing.

We have used Biblioplan with SOTW and the AG through year 3. We used the AG for the coloring pages, maps, and the suggested reading lists (got whatever was in our library). We never did any crafts. I did not get the AG for year 4. My understanding is it has no coloring pages. I think there is plenty of reading in Biblioplan for year 4, so I won't miss the reading lists. We are trying the Biblioplan maps for this year--much cheaper than the AG. That's relatively new--Biblioplan did not have maps or coloring pages when we started (and still no coloring pages for years 3,4).

What about the switching you have to do with SOTW to follow the Biblioplan curriculum plan? I had read one post where a mom had said she didn't like that idea. I would love to hear from others.

I love the idea of SOTW compared to MOH, but dont want my children to lose the biblical part of history together with it. My 6 year old daughter is absolutely intriqued by bible stories....:001_smile:

Pamela

What about the switching you have to do with SOTW to follow the Biblioplan curriculum plan? I had read one post where a mom had said she didn't like that idea. I would love to hear from others.

Jumping around in SOTW has never been a problem for us. I actually chose Biblioplan because I like their approach better. You stick with one culture for an extended period of time instead of hopping back and forth between cultures. When we're reading SOTW, every chapter seems to begin by mentioning the people in the chapter before. It is really no big deal to read it and then say "We haven't studied them yet. We'll get to them later." The brief mention of the chapter before is just to transition from one topic to another--it does not impact the material you are learning in that chapter at all. Biblioplan is the overall roadmap to what you are studying. Each week has a theme printed at the top of the schedule and THAT'S the plan you are following--not the sequential chapters of one particular source.