Menu

it's our first year: timeline, BOC, and such

greenmamato3

i am wanting to implement as easily as possible a timeline (and/or BOC) for our first grade year, as we dive into the ancients. we're either going to use Carmen's ancients or SOTW's approach. still trying to decide, but i think that's a side issue to my question.

i'm totally overwhelmed at how to build a timeline.

i bought a poster-sized laminated timeline from Geography Matters at our local homeschool curriculum fair this year, but is that enough? what do i put on it? when? how do i integrate that? do we also do a BOC? is there more than ONE BOC? is something like the BOC laid out in the SOTW activity guide {i haven't received my copy yet even though i've ordered it ....}

HELP! i don't want to miss the key part of our historical exploration, and DS LOVES the idea of time. he's SOOOO excited about egyptians and greeks right now. we've spent the last month really building up the idea (checking out books from the library, etc . . . ) and laying the foundation. i don't want to blow it :)

i love having all you seasoned moms to call upon! thanks!

If your using Carmen's stuff, she has a timeline on the bottom of each notebook page, so you really don't need another one. If you don't use her stuff or if you want a timeline anyways, Hannah has a yahoo group that timeline figures for free. She also has some advice about making a timeline. Hope that helps :)!

Forgot to add a link to our timeline, this post has a pretty good view of it.

Edited by Pata

I actually planned on adding a timeline activity later... after I am done with the more basic stuff. It would involve using file folders on a wall timeline. And then of course, my notebook pages make their own book of the centuries. Winterpromise has some nice dividers for a timeline book that I thought about getting at one point.

On the notebook pages, there are activities to go along with the mapping in which the child colors in the correct dates on the timeline.

So its called Carmen's Ancients huh? LOL. I have a better name picked out. I just have to snatch the domain. Working on it now. I just need to get the last (week 18) week done! I have been adapting PD works for my own book to go along with it... it is taking some time.

I did complete (more or less) my booklist and figure the cost of the books.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

i like the winterpromise thing. but man that's expensive, isn't it? i wish i could SEE what it looks like on the inside.

Simplycharlottemason has a free PDF BOC. it's nothing fantastic, which is, of course, why it's free.

tanglewood has one for like $3 or something. i am using their corebook this year. it's a LITTLe more interesting than the SCM one is.

i'd prefer to not have it hanging all over our wall, as we don't have an isolated "school" room.

plus, i think it will be harder when we have more than one child doing the timeline activities.

so is it standard that you fill the BOC or the timline with timeline figures, or do you DRAW in what you want to record? i guess i'm a little confused b/c some of the BOCs seem like you would notebook EVERYTHING in there, including bible verses, poetry, artists, music, ReadAlouds, great lit, etc, in addition to history-proper topics. then it seems like others are more just straight up "history" {the timeline figures way}. hmmmmmm.

wow. it's like the more i learn, the more i question.

also, paige, is your science curriculum a creationists approach?

carmen, i definitely think you should do "carmen's ancients" :) as my daughter would say "FO SHO!"

i'm getting ready to PM you.

also, paige, is your science curriculum a creationists approach?

I've tried to leave that out of it, so that Elemental Science can be used by all. The only program that really addresses the Earth's beginnings is Earth Science/Astronomy and I've tried to write it in such a way that the parent has the freedom to express their views. That said, I am a Christian and it's hard to keep that completely out of anything I write ;)!

I was going to use the Book of the Centuries to place our notebook pages which includes pictures similar to what you find in the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia. Alternately, you can use images from Usborne, on their internet link page, and from the covers of the books that you read. I wanted covers of books and pictures of projects to be a big part of the timeline because that is what kids remember. Using purchased or downloaded timeline figures that they have never seen before doesn't make much sense to me.

I was planning to get the Winterpromise BOC so that I would have dividers for our notebook. I plan to get AS1 and Sea and Sky later anyway.

I haven't really looked at the others, but I see no point to one that is not already printed for me. I could make my own in that case, but either way it is too much work to buy the card stock, print it out, cut it, etc.

Edited by Lovedtodeath