Menu

Spanish translation help needed

I've been reading my Spanish Bible--Mateo 5:47

(Sorry--this computer is not set up to type in Spanish)

Si amas solo a los que te aman, ?que de extraordinario tiene eso? !Aun el ser mas bajo hace lo mismo!

I understand the meaning, but not the grammar. Why isn't ser conjugated? "el ser mas bajo" -- just how do you translate this literally? I can read it and understand what it is saying, but I'd never use it this way. I'd love to be able to step from understanding to using!

Thanks!

Jean

"Even the lowliest being would do the same".

El ser = the being / El ser humano = the human being.

In English, when you use a verb as a noun, you use the gerund (present participle, -ing form). In Spanish, you use the infinitive.

Ah! That makes sense! Thank you! Jean

"Even the lowliest being would do the same".

El ser = the being / El ser humano = the human being.

In English, when you use a verb as a noun, you use the gerund (present participle, -ing form). In Spanish, you use the infinitive.

What she said. Ser in this case is a noun. :)

What she said. Ser in this case is a noun. :)

I studied Spanish 30+ years ago. I'm just getting back into it and decided to do so by reading the new testament. I think I need to pull my kids SOS Spanish II program out and go over it. Those lesser-studied grammar points are no longer "in my head". LOL!

Thanks!

Jean

I studied Spanish 30+ years ago. I'm just getting back into it and decided to do so by reading the new testament. I think I need to pull my kids SOS Spanish II program out and go over it. Those lesser-studied grammar points are no longer "in my head". LOL!

Thanks!

Jean

What a wonderful idea!! Spanish is a beautiful language. :) I wish you all the best in your endeavors. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sharyn Calleigh

'The eyes are the windows to the soul'.If this doesn't make sense in Spanish, I need some fancy title accompaniment to a post I'm doing on macro eye photography. If you suggest a new one - let me know what it is in English please. The more local and impressive the better! If your not Spanish, other languages would be interesting.