Menu

Gilbert Academy Schedules for 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade...

Thoughts, suggestions, appreciated always.

Finally, here's what we're doing. I have decided to teach the big dogs (Hist., Sci.) first thing so the older ones can work on independent subjects while I continue with the littles for Phonics Road.

My plan is to teach each of the older ones all their math for the week in only 2 teaching sessions (1 if allowable) and only teach latin (The Latin Road) only on Fridays, so they have the rest of the week to finish the assignments.

I will assign their new history week on Friday so they can use the weekends to get a head start on the reading (probably about 45m-1h each w/e of reading).

In general, I tried to schedule so we can finish a little earlier than Aug. this coming year and enjoy a bit more summer by using supplements in the summer so we'll be finished with summer school by lunch.

I also wanted them to work really hard M-F, and have a lighter day on Friday so we can hit some housework on Sat. mornings, but they still have ample time to be creative and have some fun. Keep in mind, the times listed are really maximum slots. They generally finish faster, that depends on their focus and diligence.

Finally, the boys have 2 sciences b/c when we started, I slacked too much in science and I want to make sure they have a firm foundation in all areas of study so they're better prepared for college dual enrollment, starting in 11th grade. Catch up is not fun!

We start our day with 30m singing and bible reading.

Another busy year for us, so what do you think?

JM – 13 (almost 14), grade 8; JJ-12, grade 7

M-Th.

TOG3 Dialectic – 1 hour

Algebra (MUS/Dolciani) 45m./ JJ: Life of Fred/MUS

Chemistry (Elementary level easy reading only, with quick written summary at end of chapter using vocab.) 45m/ 2nd half of year Zoo 2 marine animals

Apologia Physical Sci. 45m.

Rosetta Stone Spanish 30m

Phonics Solutions Spelling CD/Mind Benders Logic CD 2/2 days 20m

History vocab/map study 20m

Latin vocab study 10m

Latin 45m independent

Writing 45m

PE 30

Piano 25m

Chores 30 (3x daily 10m pick up and tidy)

Meals 1hr eat, clean, snack

Time with little brother 15m

Free Reading 15m

Friday schedule:

TOG3 1 hour discussion, tests, intro. to new week – all with Mom

Algebra (MUS/Dolciani) 45m.

Apologia Physical Sci. 45m.

Latin 45m instruction for next week with Mom

PE 30

Piano 25m (JM alternates piano and guitar)

Free Reading 15m

Art (Visual Manna) 1 hour

Assigned Reading (history)/Writing 45m over weekend to get head start

S 11, 6th grade

M-Th.

TOG3 – UG/Dialectic delicate Dialectic with hopes of full transition by end of year1 hour

Singapore 6A/6B -- MUS Alg. 45m. (finished MUS Pre-Alg and will read LoF this summer aloud to me)

Chemistry (RS4K I, with quick written summary at end of chapter using vocab.) 45m/ 2nd half of year Zoo 2 marine animals

Latin vocab study 10m

Latin 45m independent

Writing 45m

PE 30

Piano 25m

Free Reading 15m

Friday schedule:

Singapore 6A/6B 45m.

Video on Zoology or Chem. for review and easy, fun Friday science or extra experiments where necessary

Latin 45m instruction for next week with Mom

PE 30

Piano 25m

Free Reading 15m

D 9 (almost 10), 4th grade

M-Th.

TOG3 Upper Grammar – 1 hour

Singapore 4A/4B—MUS Delta 3 days of Singapore, 2 of MUS per week 45 min.

Chemistry (RS4K I, with quick written summary at end of chapter using vocab.) 45m/ 2nd half of year Zoo 2 marine animals

The Phonics Road to Spelling, Reading and Grammar Level 3 1.5/day in 2 segments

Writing 25m

PE 30

Piano 25m

Free Reading 15m

Friday schedule:

Singapore 4A/4B 45m.

Video on Zoology or Chem. for review and easy, fun Friday science or extra experiments where necessary

PE 30

Piano 25m

Free Reading 15m

Ax 7, 2nd grade

M-Th.

TOG3 Lower Grammar – 30m

Singapore 2A/2B—MUS Alpha/Beta for review and practice 3 days of Singapore, 2 of MUS per week 30 min.

Chemistry (RS4K pre-level I, with narration daily, and illustrations were necessary) 45m/ 2nd half of year Zoo 2 marine animals

The Phonics Road to Spelling, Reading and Grammar Level 2 1.5/day in 2 segments

Phonics Solutions Spelling CD/Mind Benders Logic CD 2/2 days 10m

History vocab/map study 20m (games with map puzzles and vocab words)

PE 30

Piano 25m

Free Reading 15m

Friday schedule:

TOG3 1 hour discussion, tests, intro. to new week – all with Mom he listens, colors and copies vocab words while we discuss

Singapore 4A/4B 45m.

PE 30

Piano 25m

Time with sibings 1h (4—15min slots)

Free Reading 15m

Summer

Everyone will finish up math/grammar/science/history as necessary

Wordly Wise (appropriate level)

Piano

Reading on Creation Science for older ones using serious resources

Sewing

Musicals (simply watching as many as possible)

summer reading from Ambleside list

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
didn't list our bible time!

Finally, the boys have 2 sciences b/c when we started, I slacked too much in science and I want to make sure they have a firm foundation in all areas of study so they're better prepared for college dual enrollment, starting in 11th grade. Catch up is not fun!

Wow. You must be superwoman.

I'd drop one of the sciences and just do the Apologia Physical this year. They will still be ready for dual enrollment in 11th grade if that is what they want. Depending on their college major they may only need to take 1 science for college or if they are science major then they will do just fine if you work through 1 science textbook per year with a good math background. No need to "catch up" with elementary science.

Best of luck, mama!

I have a question for you if you don't mind. This will be our first year to use Apologia. I really want my oldest (11) to make it through all of the elementary levels but next year's suggestion is Gen Science. I had thought about going ahead with that and letting do the elementary series with his little brothers as a supp. It looks like that is your plan as well? Have you done it this way before? I wonder if it would just be science overkill. I am thinking if we do it the way you have planned...just reading and summary, it should work out ok.

Soooo glad I read your children's schedules!! At least I'm not the only one planning on doing it this way! :D

It's very impressive. My 12-year-old, going-into-seventh-grade daughter would faint if she had to do seven hours of homeschool every day (but then, she has ADD and is kind of weak and delicate). I always schedule more than she physically has time to do (she has lots of outside activities like ballet, piano, art class, etc. to which we're always driving), and something always ends up being pushed out of the schedule.

I don't notice a lot of outside classes or activities on your schedule. Is that how you manage to get so much done?

I have a question for you if you don't mind. This will be our first year to use Apologia. I really want my oldest (11) to make it through all of the elementary levels but next year's suggestion is Gen Science. I had thought about going ahead with that and letting do the elementary series with his little brothers as a supp. It looks like that is your plan as well? Have you done it this way before? I wonder if it would just be science overkill. I am thinking if we do it the way you have planned...just reading and summary, it should work out ok.

Soooo glad I read your children's schedules!! At least I'm not the only one planning on doing it this way! :D

We did it this year, too. The boys did Apologia Gen Sci on their own. We meet at the end of the module in case they need clarification, but after Mod 2,they haven't asked a thing. I go over their tests with them and I like to have POP Quiz sessions about once a month by reading through the tests (completed ones) and making sure they are retaining. So far, very successful! They like to share their knowledge at dinner, so dh hears about it too and I know they are getting it. Check out DonnaYoung.org for printable schedules. I used this so they had a lesson plan all laid out for them. No excuses to get behind, and less lesson planning for me!

They listened in this year for Astronomy and Zoology 3 (Land Animals) and it has been a breeze. The read aloud is only 20-30 min and then they summarize and turn in by the end of the day. If I want them to have a deeper knowledge, they read something I borrow from the library. They, so far, have done well, with no complaining. They both love science, so they enjoy and generally read more. I generally only give them one summary/week, so as not to overkill. We put together a newspaper on the planets, so each summary was entered into our final project. That just meant they had to type their summaries and email them to me. I put them in place and printed out the finished project for their notebooks. I used Notebooking2LearnScience Yahoo group for the newspaper template..free too and easy.

The chemistry this coming year will be easy for them. They did take a semester of Chem 3 years ago, so it'll be a review (needed) and give them a refresher in junior high. A few experiments a month, some easy level reading, and a few summaries will iron out and refresh. Same goes for Marine biology. If I see they are remembering most everything, I can drop the double science. After this year, they won't need any refreshers, so they can weed out that portion of their schedule. The dc to follow, won't have this problem. I got a grip and a blessing (Apologia Elem. Sci) by the time they were up and coming, so they'll get the solid Trivium Cycle in science 3 full times.

The one area they dislike the most is history, more specifically, the reading involved in history. I do assign a lot of reading. I cut back a bit the past 2 months and it seems to be getting better for them. I really see Jr. High as "get ready for the real world" time since they'll both be in the local college soon thereafter. I want them to tread lightly with me, working up to intense reading so they'll be successful in college. I can honestly say, I had 1 O.N.E. high school class that prepared me for college, so I don't want the same surprise to come to them.

It's very impressive. My 12-year-old, going-into-seventh-grade daughter would faint if she had to do seven hours of homeschool every day (but then, she has ADD and is kind of weak and delicate). I always schedule more than she physically has time to do (she has lots of outside activities like ballet, piano, art class, etc. to which we're always driving), and something always ends up being pushed out of the schedule.

I don't notice a lot of outside classes or activities on your schedule. Is that how you manage to get so much done?

Yes. We used to co-op, tae kwon do, community classes, etc. Once they hit jr. high and the younger ones joined in the school day, it was too much. We weren't really "home" to home school, so we dropped everything and have only added what fits after academics.

They do have a few activities, though. 2x per week the older ones volunteer at an outreach center. They have close friends there, so the "volunteer" time they serve, and lead, but they also play. The younger ones get to go, but it's simply playtime (and a bible story) for them. We meet with friends in the evening for beach or fun about every other week. Otherwise, after school, they play with neighbors every evening and we generally have sleep overs on the weekend.

2 of them play sports via the local junior high (volleyball and track). They ride their bikes (we are a 1 car family). During sports season, it isn't unusual to see those 2 up an hour early so they can finish their independent work in time to enjoy some free time.

I teach them art and piano for two reasons: 1. no money for lessons, and 2. no driving time.

You'll also notice the computer time. Although I am there for follow up, questions and grading (lots and lots of grading), they do a nice percentage on the computer, so I can spend that huge amount of time with the wee ones on fundamentals.

Wow. You must be superwoman.

I'd drop one of the sciences and just do the Apologia Physical this year. They will still be ready for dual enrollment in 11th grade if that is what they want. Depending on their college major they may only need to take 1 science for college or if they are science major then they will do just fine if you work through 1 science textbook per year with a good math background. No need to "catch up" with elementary science.

Best of luck, mama!

Superwoman, I am not! I feel more like crazy woman this time of the year especially.

I get a lot of lesson planning done in the summer. I tend to LP about 12 hours a day for most of August. It's worth it though, cuz I can pull out a file folder and start teaching any subject immediately. Copies ready. Books chosen and highlighted. It has made a huge difference in what we can accomplish{ate}. I just started the system this past year and am really pleased with it. I also expect a lot of independent work from the older 3. You'll notice a lot of their practice things are on computer now. That is really the only way I can work through my spread of ages with sanity.

Chores are shared (all chores, all people) and I don't usually watch tv during the week. I record it all and watch it on Fri, pm and Sat :) Mostly, though, we just all understand staying on task makes or breaks us and the kids must get their work done or they won't have any free time. If they are diligent, they can have 2 hours every evening to do whatever they want. Once their neighborhood friends get home from after school care, do chores and homework, they have about the same amount of time.

And don't get me wrong, there are days it just doesn't all happen. It's easy to drop the computer stuff, though, so as long as I hit Sci, Hist. Math, Latin/Grammar, and piano every day, I am happy. The other stuff makes up nicely on the w/e if necessary. My hope is, they get it done, though, so we can all relax on the w/e...we earn it!

I will watch closely on the science. The were a few weeks this year when TOG was heavy, so I allowed them to read on their own and give me an oral report instead of written summary. I am watchful not to exasperate them. If they are successful with the chem (remember what they have previously learned) then I'll drop it.

Thanks for your input. This time of the year, my mind is spinning and I can easily overlook or be overzealous.

I also cook ahead. Like on Sundays, we have a red sauce meal. I usually make a double batch and freeze one. Or if I'm making chicken, I'll cook enough for 2 meals. That way, on busy days, when I'm behind, it makes for easy dinner.

I schedule meals. I schedule chores. Keeping this beast of a schedule requires a lot of discipline in my time management. I struggle with it. It does not come naturally. I do, however, know it can be done, so I work hard and when I fall short, I just get back up and end up losing my free time (the same way the dc would). If I want to watch tv or read, I just make sure I'm done. I also sacrifice a lot of "me" time for now. I figure I'll get a lot of that when they're grown and gone.

I get a lot of lesson planning done in the summer. I tend to LP about 12 hours a day for most of August. It's worth it though, cuz I can pull out a file folder and start teaching any subject immediately. Copies ready. Books chosen and highlighted. It has made a huge difference in what we can accomplish{ate}.

We must be kindred spirits! lol ...or you would make an excellent mentor for me since you have more experience in homeschooling! :D

I'm doing the same this year. We start back the first week of August so I hope to have all lessons planned, copies made, notebooks ready, science and art project materials bought and organized before then. I've been working a couple hours a day for about two weeks now. *Hopefully* I'll be finished by August. lol I've been reading a blog called Preschoolers and Peace (web address is the name). She and a friend get together for one weekend and get everything ready for the new year. She is the one who inspired me to get everything together NOW and not worry it during school time! I have to say I am VERY excited to have it all organized...and I am VERY excited for this new school year.

I also meal plan and do a lot of once a week cooking, especially baked goods for the boys' snacks.

Thanks for the Apologia links!! I love Donna Young's schedules! I'll have to remember those for next year's Gen Science. Are you on the Apologia yahoo group as well? We're using the lapbook materials listed in the group files.

Thanks for the Apologia links!! I love Donna Young's schedules! I'll have to remember those for next year's Gen Science. Are you on the Apologia yahoo group as well? We're using the lapbook materials listed in the group files.

I am on the yahoo groups. I have used the lapbook stuff off and on. I enjoyed the "newsletter" ones this year for the older boys and Astronomy. The others are nice for the map it sections in Zoology. They also make nice pictures for the narrations of the little guy. :) Some days, though, all we feel like are simple narrations. So long as they continue to retain, I don't mind what we use, only that it works!

Okay, so when can you come to my house? What do ya'll feed your families? Big issue here with wheat, dairy, sugar, and peanut intolerances. Lovely fun.

Yet I digress. I am so in awe of ladies like you that do all you do. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Okay, so when can you come to my house? What do ya'll feed your families? Big issue here with wheat, dairy, sugar, and peanut intolerances. Lovely fun.

Yet I digress. I am so in awe of ladies like you that do all you do. Thanks for being an inspiration.

I am fortunate not to have any medical limits/difficulties anywhere. I imagine that would change many things in our life!

We eat everything. Tons of fruits and veggies. Some white flour, some whole grains. Some meat, some vegetarian. Mostly fresh, but we have a fuzzy spot for Ramen noodles and I like to shop at Save a lot for pantry items, so we have plenty of processed too! Pretty much, as for food, someone around here is just always eating! My screen name should change to MommaI'mHungry!

Thanks for the encouragement. It gonna be a tough year, but I'll be ready! ;)

What do ya'll feed your families? Big issue here with wheat, dairy, sugar, and peanut intolerances. Lovely fun.

My oldest has ADHD/ODD so I watch his diet veeeerrrry carefully and we keep as many chemicals as possible out of our home. None of my boys can tolerate aspartame, food dyes, or preservatives. They all have a slight milk intolerance (which has gotten better...we were a soy only family for a few years). We try to eat whole wheat everything and I work hard to keep high frutose corn syrup out of our house. I bake and cook from scratch so I can avoid as much of that as possible. Also just eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies and only drinking milk, water, and 100% juice helps us avoid a lot of things we can't have.