Menu

Has anyone used Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding?

Cranberry

by Bernard J Nebel

I stumbled across this book and it looks like what we've been looking for but I'm not keen on shelling the $ out before I know a little more about it.

I'm familiar with the Harcourt Science and liked it but want something with a little more meat this year...

Any experiences?

Sorry I didn't see this and respond when you first posted! I'm not yet using BFSU, so I can't be much help. However, I know there are a few WTM'ers who have already begun. Here are links to a few threads that might be helpful: here and here and here. And don't be shy about PM'ing if you want more details from someone!

I have his Elementary Education book, but not Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. I am not really interested in laying out $ for another of his books, as I found the Elementary Ed. book to be of only theoretical interest, so I'm following this thread with interest.

I really, really like this science program. I like how it tickles my long dormant scientific mind, and I like how it makes ds think. What I did was make my own semi-schedule that I felt free to deviate from afterwards (just a bit) to suit our interests. I like to have some structure that I come back to if needed. We're stretching BFSU from K-2, which is easy to do as the lessons can be involved and require some thought IMO. We take two weeks each (once a week) on each topic in K. We're done next week with K. Our goal was to cover 17 threads/topics this year, but I think we're going to be missing a couple. My mistake. Now I know to gather materials ahead of time instead of flying by the seat of my pants. I still have to buy some magnets for our Magnetism thread :tongue_smilie: It's tough shopping with a busy two-year-old.

I plan to catch up during the Summer. Next year I'm going to be working on 12 threads. Haven't set up my schedule yet. So much to do for next year! But I actually like being busy like this :D

Any specific questions? I'll be using it next year after having done some Nature Studies. We'll see how that works.