Menu

FLL4 but leave out...

How bad would it be if I use FLL4 but do not use the diagramming? Same for R&S or GWG? Bad meaning is it such a part of these programs that to leave it out we lose the value of using them?

Total and complete confusion of the child resulting from diagramming is why i want to leave it out.

It is just so logical. My analytical brain can't comprehend that. :blink: Wonder if they are a creative type? :D

My guess is you probably would want to use something like Easy Grammar or Growing With Grammar that doesn't use diagramming.

Heather

Maybe a program that uses parsing would be better than adjusting a program based on diagramming? You could use Shurley, Intermediate Language Lessons, or The Queen Homeschool Language programs for a few examples because I don't think any of those use diagramming.

HTH,

Not sure about the age of your student...

you may want to try FLL 3. It has alot of diagramming but Susan presents it in such a clear, simple way... the scripting makes it so easy to teach. If you really just do not want diagramming for sure, I'd say go with Easy Grammar. If you take the diagramming out of FLL 3 or 4, you aren't going to have a whole lot left over. Easy Grammar is a great program. It's what I'd use if I didn't want diagramming.

Have you considered Winston Grammar?

We've had great results with one ds who couldn't seem to retain it otherwise. It does not have any diagramming, only labeling, and ds actually says it's his favorite subject!

Btw, it addresses parts of speech only so you would need to add composition.

My 2 cents,

What is the difference between labeling and diagramming?

Skip diagramming? :svengo:

Why on earth would you do that? I can't fathom such a thing! :lol:

I love diagramming. Love it, love it, love it! I'm trying very hard to instill a love for it in my girls, too. I am not sure I'm succeeding, but I'm trying.

We're most likely going in a more CM direction for grammar next year, but hearing that FLL 4 is diagram-heavy makes me want to look at it. I really must stop coming to the curriculum board! :D

What is the difference between labeling and diagramming?

My understanding...

When you label, the sentence stays as it is written and you code each word by writing the part of speech or it's abbreviation on top of the word.

With diagramming, you take the sentence apart, building it from the basics of subject and predicate.

hth,

My understanding...

When you label, the sentence stays as it is written and you code each word by writing the part of speech or it's abbreviation on top of the word.

With diagramming, you take the sentence apart, building it from the basics of subject and predicate.

hth,

So are there benefits to the different methods?

So are there benefits to the different methods?

I think most diagramming programs probably have you label the sentence first, which is also called parsing. Then you diagram from what you parsed.

What I find is the rules for diagramming are a little more set, so if I mis-mark a part of the sentence it will sometimes become obvious when I go to diagram it and it doesn't fit. Then I take a second look at my parsing and discover I mis-understood the sentence the first time, and correct it.

But to be transparent I only just got this stuff in the last year. I passed my Senior English class by getting extra credit for reading Roots.

Heather